Gong hangers on the cheap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with chain, but if shot with .223 or bigger the links are done for.. I then tried 4" retired ratchet strap material but it was a pita to prepare and didn't last any to long before giving up where bolted to the gong.. Then one day I found a flat belt that came off a vehicle of some sort in the shop trash can.. It has be taking the licks and still hanging well.. SO if your in need of gong hangers ya might give thought to stopping by a garage and asking if they have any flat serpentine belts ya might have.. I've also purchased flat rubber off amazon but at $20 bucks a throw I'll be looking at a mechanics garage in the future..

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Old baler belts work well too! They are bout 8" wide. I reckon you can cut em narrower. Fella could probably get em for free anywhere that works on round balers if your neighbor doesn't have a few laying in the weeds behind his shop. Lots of balers will be goin in for service and new belts during the winter.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bout 8" whoa, that's wider then many of the gongs, lol, are they reinforced, likely so but don't know.. The auto belts are about 1 or 1+ inches and well reinforced.. I may have to stop by one of the 2 JD dealers I drive by 5 days a week.. Tanks there cowpoke..

I have run flat inserts for 20" military tires.
.308 goes in but does not come out.
Prop your steel plate on a chunk of one of these.
https://www.hutchinsoninc.com/defense/runflats/

I have cut chunks off of one of them and shot it and it rolled a bit.
Kind of a poor boy action target self healing.

Dats some serious rubber, I've shot a hockey puck before and it's pretty tough too..

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bout 8" whoa, that's wider then many of the gongs, lol, are they reinforced, likely so but don't know.. The auto belts are about 1 or 1+ inches and well reinforced.. I may have to stop by one of the 2 JD dealers I drive by 5 days a week.. Tanks there cowpoke..

Dats some serious rubber, I've shot a hockey puck before and it's pretty tough too..
They've got some kind of cord runnin thru em. They are only bout 1/4-3/8" thick.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1 piece of conveyor belt $7.65 plus $19.95 shipping, That's not on the cheap..

Working at a power plant, a buddy and I acquired hundreds of feet of conveyor belt for free to make target backers at our range and other uses. We quit using it when people complained that .32 and .25 auto’s were bouncing back at them. Didn’t realize that many folks shot those small calibers. .22 RF would go right through the belting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom