Good after best buy dates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure thing. Just because they sell marked down foods is no reason to trust their knowledge.
I don't blindly trust trust anything that is a simple typed list - just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true, lol

Anyway - since honey doesn't spoil and they write that it has a 2 year shelf life post printed expiration shows anyone with reasonable intelligence that the list is suspect.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't blindly trust trust anything that is a simple typed list - just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true, lol

Anyway - since honey doesn't spoil and they write that it has a 2 year shelf life post printed expiration shows anyone with reasonable intelligence that the list is suspect.
Except most people do not have reasonable intelligence nowadays. They see honey has turned to sugar they are going to trash it. Only those of us old school fools will care that it can be turned back.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honey can go bad if the moisture content is too high. Normally below 18% it won't ferment. Some capped honey may be above 18%. Honey from canola crystalizes quick after harvest. Some flowers produce nectar that rarely crystalizes.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My granddaughter helped me clean out the tornado shelter last week. I found a box of granola bars that expired in 2015. Asked her if she wanted one and she said they were too old for her. I ate two and didn’t die. Finished off the box over the next few days and still didn’t die.
Yet... but I'll bet you a lunch you do eventually! :rollingla

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me and my sister have to go through mom's pantry and fridge regularly. Mom won't throw anything away. She grew up poor, grandma made her and her sister's school dresses out of flour sacks kind of poor. Everything was used and what can be recycled was.

I swear my mom will food poison herself if we let our guard down. She tastes milk that has gone sour and if it tastes good it's good. It can smell terrible and still taste good to her. Rinse and repeat for everything...

Depending on what it is, if it's past and actual expiration date I trash it. Now a "best used by" date gets some leeway.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the deal folks. The date on food stuffs is out there to alert what they think might be the time it has the peak of flavor which is not alway correct and to aid retailers in putting the oldest goods for sale or in general rotation of goods on the shelf.
It’s a voluntary thing with those that sell food to retailers.
The federal government only requires actual go bad dates on baby formula. Nothing else.
Yeah, it’s on the internet but WebMD is typically a fairly reliable source of info.

“The dates you see on food labels are not usually related to food spoilage. Instead, the dates tell you how long food maintains the best taste and texture. Federal law does not require food quality dates except on infant formula.‌”

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features...ou can eat food after,after the sell-by date.
I hate it when there are food drives for the poor and thousands of pounds of food is thrown out because the uninformed think the day after the date on the can it’s unhealthy. Exactly the opposite is true.

Latest posts

Top Bottom