Good associate degree recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So my company will be going through a buyout this summer, and I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little concerned about my job security (notwithstanding the calming words from other members here!). On that note, I've been doing a little research into career options that I might move into; even checked on my old college stuff from 20 years ago, I have 25 hours completed so far, so I'm that much closer. I also have tuition assistance and GI bill money left from my military time.

My biggest issue is this: I don't want to move, and I live in probably one of the more rural counties in western OK, which leaves job opportunities lacking. My first thought was the medical field, to work in one of the local hospitals or clinics, etc. Past that, I'm not sure what would keep me within a decent driving commute of my home. Having very little experience in the "professional" workplace, being in the oilfield for over 15 years, I don't know wbat degrees will make a person the most marketable, so to speak. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, the medical field might be a good choice if ya can deal with it. From what I understand, nurses are always in high demand, and not only in hospitals (Dr offices, home hospice, etc.).

CPA might be another option, dunno.

How far are you willing to commute?
:drunk2:

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Becoming an RN is one of the best bang for the buck AS degrees out there. Another option is learning to code or do IT stuff, but you can get certifications without needing a degree. Highway Patrol is another option(62 hours). CPA is always in demand and pays well, but it is difficult and requires a 4 year degree.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
From OSU Okmulgee my son has an Associate in Applied Science in Engineering Graphics & Design Drafting Technologies. He graduated 12 years ago. These jobs are in high demand and he is making $40+ an hour. He's been working from home a year now and there are no plans for him to return to an office gig.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything to do with computers... particularly security, but an associates degree might not be enough to get you into the security field specifically. Desktop support or server administration, but as noted above certifications might be as good as an associates degree.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMHO, associates degrees are increasingly becoming obsolete. There are obvious exceptions for those two year degrees that lead to work in a licensed field, like nursing, but even nursing is seeing a shift into B.S.N.s being the norm.

IF you are going to commit the time, energy, and money into going back to school, I would find an accelerated Bachelor's program or just go after a skilled trade certification program.

YMMV and it all depends on your goals.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO, associates degrees are increasingly becoming obsolete. There are obvious exceptions for those two year degrees that lead to work in a licensed field, like nursing, but even nursing is seeing a shift into B.S.N.s being the norm.

IF you are going to commit the time an energy into going back to school, I would find an accelerated Bachelor's program or just go after a skilled trade certification program.

YMMV and it all depends on your goals.
Vo-Tech maybe?

Latest posts

Top Bottom