Good associate degree recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my company will be going through a buyout this summer, and I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little concerned about my job security (notwithstanding the calming words from other members here!). On that note, I've been doing a little research into career options that I might move into; even checked on my old college stuff from 20 years ago, I have 25 hours completed so far, so I'm that much closer. I also have tuition assistance and GI bill money left from my military time.

My biggest issue is this: I don't want to move, and I live in probably one of the more rural counties in western OK, which leaves job opportunities lacking. My first thought was the medical field, to work in one of the local hospitals or clinics, etc. Past that, I'm not sure what would keep me within a decent driving commute of my home. Having very little experience in the "professional" workplace, being in the oilfield for over 15 years, I don't know wbat degrees will make a person the most marketable, so to speak. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!
OSU IT in Okmulgee would be my pick. A 2 or 4 year degree in Instrumentation and you can write your ticket anywhere in the world and they have that degree. One of the few that do.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From OSU Okmulgee my son has an Associate in Applied Science in Engineering Graphics & Design Drafting Technologies. He graduated 12 years ago. These jobs are in high demand and he is making $40+ an hour. He's been working from home a year now and there are no plans for him to return to an office gig.
Yup, that is where I graduated 31 years ago.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMHO, associates degrees are increasingly becoming obsolete. There are obvious exceptions for those two year degrees that lead to work in a licensed field, like nursing, but even nursing is seeing a shift into B.S.N.s being the norm.

IF you are going to commit the time, energy, and money into going back to school, I would find an accelerated Bachelor's program or just go after a skilled trade certification program.

YMMV and it all depends on your goals.

I agree with the thinking here..

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Associate degrees are not obsolete. Definitely not as wide a selection of good paying jobs but the instrumentation degree will earn you 6 figures and there is a huge demand world wide or local. Everything these days has a instrument on it. Think hospital equipment, refineries, oil field equipment... Its more of a Trade like a Vo Tech would teach but Vo Techs dont teach this.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the president there... do I get points for name dropping? :pms2:
I thought Biden was the president in all of Oklahoma...
106176-8f0090b7cee06ce6a86d722a4658fb7a.jpg

:drunk2:

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might try home inspections. Vo-tech is required now, but I don't think it is a very long process to get certified. You will travel, but every bank requires one with the sale of a home if the buyer is getting a mortgage.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would seriously look into being a lineman. My Uncle did that when he was young working for the county first then a utility. Then started his own contracting business and at its height was running 38 bucket trucks. Did almost all of the work at Ft. Hood Tx Army Base. Started bidding transformer stations and high voltage cross country lines building those all over TX.. Sold out/merged the company with his work into some sort of partnership and is now Vice President of some nationwide electrical corporation. Now he sits behind a desk on his butt all day goofing on facebook and wanting to run for congress.

Me? I was just a dumb welder. But, I made some insane money at times you might not believe and even I hated where it was at I could always find some kind of a job if I needed one. I don't recommend that as a trade. Too much being gone from home all the time. Went to Jamaica once for what was suppossed to be 14days, Got back 11 months later and my kid was in a different grade. NOT WORTH IT. And........I am not near rich enough to try to run for congress.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom