Good careers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHawk357Mag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fantastic thread. Kinda thought I would see some welding posts or heavy equipment operators. I have been looking for something to inspire my kid. Haven't found it yet.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One piece of advice that I'd give anyone that is considering the often given advice in this thread about self-employment being where it's at. Be careful with that. If you aren't capable of being financially mature while working for someone else, you DEFINITELY won't be financially mature when you are bringing in more money than you ever did, but then have to turn around and pay self employment taxes on top of your normal income taxes. Take it from someone who knows. It can seriously come back and bite you in the nether region.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fantastic thread. Kinda thought I would see some welding posts or heavy equipment operators. I have been looking for something to inspire my kid. Haven't found it yet.
Welders can make really good money on the pipeline side of the business but work conditions can be brutal out in the elements.
Shop welders make less money but gain company benefits. As one gets older, those benefits become exponentially more important.
The welders making top money are those proficient in a nitch skill like tig welding on aircraft or getting certified to weld in Nuke plant construction or critical structure.
A friend now retired, welded submarine hulls in Virginia.
Have no clue about heavy equipment operators.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One piece of advice that I'd give anyone that is considering the often given advice in this thread about self-employment being where it's at. Be careful with that. If you aren't capable of being financially mature while working for someone else, you DEFINITELY won't be financially mature when you are bringing in more money than you ever did, but then have to turn around and pay self employment taxes on top of your normal income taxes. Take it from someone who knows. It can seriously come back and bite you in the nether region.
aren't construction businesses the ones most likely to fail? '

high reward, high risk....

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I auto transferred 40% of my “salary” while self employed. Was setup as an llc, my bonus, moneyabove my salary went into an individual 401k as a “company contribution”. Just know your bad with money and auto deal with taxes, savings, etc.

And keep good records for the tax audits that will be coming.

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i appreciate hearing your story. i'm happy for you, congrats on your marriage.

i hear law enforcement is a really good career, if you've got the personality for it.
Hard to recommend law enforcement to anyone today. I spent 30 years at OCPD and 13 more at OSBI. The last 25 years of that was in the Firearms Lab doing all the Firearms Examinations. Thought I had died and gone to Heaven; they actually paid me to play with guns all day. Even had an indoor range next to my office at OSBI.
Six or 7 years on the street in the 1970s was a lot different than today. Way more fun than now. Too many admins today joining the “woke Illuminati” and not backing the street officers. Media has really turned against all law enforcement today.
Pay and benefits are the best they have ever been but no one wants to be a cop anymore. Pretty easy to get hired, but it all comes at a price.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was a mechanic/welder until my ticker blew a gasket.

I'd strongly recommend a field without heavy exertion or working outside in the elements. Those can make a huge difference as you get older.

Just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:
___

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a bum compared to you guys.
I fix things that are broken.
I always have and I just live below my means.
Learn to manage money and invest it and learn to fix things yourself.
I spent many days at the public library learning to do things through books.

I am debt free and have rental properties that are all paid for that make me an income.

Another big key is keep your health in order.
If you are in bad health you will not be able to fix busted things and there goes your hard earned money.

I watched my dad and his buddies stay drunk and smoke and get out of shape, cancer and heart issues plagued them.
Some people do all the right things though and still have issues with health.
But no point in trying to make it worse.

Or.
Learn plumbing and open your own company.
That is another huge money maker.
If you ever write a book about your life (or anything else), let me know. I’d like to read it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom