Good careers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tell my 3 boys if they want something really stable that pays well they need to learn a trade. I started right out of high school working line construction and then worked for PSO for 20 years, moved to California and then Nevada. Now I work for a startup and can have my office anywhere in the world. When I am not in the field during a deployment I am at home with my wife. I will say though my current job found me and I can see no end to what we are doing in the world. The downside is I do have to travel a lot, but not having to walk into a brick and mortar office every day makes up for it.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t forget, nursing is the very high in fields for being assaulted at work. I believe it’s number two after law enforcement.

If I went nursing, I’d have gone nurse anesthetist. I’ll stick with IT, pays well, granted it is harder and harder to stay ahead of the required knowledge curve.

After that heating and air or plumber, rather hard jobs to outsource.

As in all things, your better off being the person that writes the checks (owner) than the one that gets them.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My ex is an RN. She ran a dialysis clinic in Idaho. $102K last year. I'd say that's pretty good for a 2yr degree. If you have young kids now, male or female, you could do worse than pointing into a career in nursing.

I spent the first 10 years of my adult working life in the AF. Spent the next 15 in law enforcement. I made really good money (I thought) doing that. Then I owned my own business. It was successful but got to be too consuming and demanding of ALL my time. I sold it. Retired a little early but that didn't sit well with the ex (my then wife) so, on a whim, I got a CDL and went to work for a propane company. Didn't pay all that well but it was probably the most enjoyable job I've had. I delivered propane in the mountains of Colorado and then Idaho. Some of my customers were at 10,000+ feet in Colorado! It could be a challenge in the winter. Hurt my shoulder, went back to work, hurt my other shoulder, packed it in. Between the shoulders and back injuries from my military days I decided I'd had enough.

I retired when I was 59. Got divorced and moved from Idaho to SW Oklahoma. I live on my VA disability and I'm happier now than I've been most of my adult life, I think. I love it here.

Just remarried yesterday! We're about to relax and enjoy our "golden" years on a little piece of land somewhere around here.

I know...TMI. It's hard to stop once I get started.
Compelling story …………you had me right up to the part where you remarried in your 60’s :laugh6:

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been in technology sales as well as a pre sales engineer for 26+ years. Most recently a Director of Sales. My career has afforded me several excellent experiences and allowed us to live in various parts of the country. After getting established and self learning technology to be considered a Subject Matter Expert, my income has afforded us a very nice lifestyle. Unfortunately for many years we squandered that income on things and did not invest as we should have. That being said we are on the right track now and working on becoming debt free so we can sink a ton of money into savings and retirement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom