GOOD elevation app?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody know of a good elevation app? I've tried half a dozen from the app store and different websites and I'm getting inaccurate results.

I'm trying to figure out how tall a hill is, and every app I try gives gives the same elevation on both the top and bottom of the hill. I've tried going well beyond the hill on both the top and bottom side to avoid any inaccuracies due to low resolution on the maps but everything I click in about a 5 acre area says the same 1691ft and I KNOW that's not true.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Subtract how high the bottom is above sea level
If your standing at the base and an app says your 500 ft above sea level then the hills only 1191 tall.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm assuming this is not a hill you can go and take a GPS reading? You may try to see if you can access things like county surveyor plots if it is in an area covered by them.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
High side is to the NE, low side is to the SW and the "shaded" area is the hill but every measurement in the general area (actually even 500 yards to the east) shows the exact same elevation no matter where I tag it.

Capture.JPG

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have found Google Earth to be pretty accurate even zoomed down close over the years. Data is from extensive satellite radar mapping gathered over the years by USGS. I have about a 1 foot drop off in about 5 ft on the edge of my yard that it detects.

Last edited:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, Google Earth Pro had what I needed. You can sketch a line and see the elevation profile of that.

Now I know my shooting path at 500 yards has a drop of about 10ft.

Capture.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom