Good food recommendations around Muskogee, Webbers Falls, Stigler.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Genealogy road trip to a cemetery near there where some of my family are buried. My brother does a lot of the family history research and discovered that our great grandparents are buried there. They probably went there to live with my grandmother's 2 brothers and a sister that never married and ran a ranch together near Kinta. The great grands passed before WWII.

I loved to go visit there when I was a boy. No running water or indoor plumbing in their tiny house with a tin roof. Fishing, hunting, and a large ranch to explore. They were a little eccentric. They died wealthy but didn't spend thier money and lived like they were dirt poor. Other than a few trips to Stigler, I haven't been to Kinta in nearly 50 years. Not much chance we'll remember how to get to the ranch but the cemetery is on the map.

Thanks for asking.
Geneology is some cool stuff. My brother and aunte did a lot of ours. I haven't dove into it much though. I drive Hwys 31 and 270 from McAlester area to Wister/Poteau areas a couple times a month. Very pretty drives for sure. Stigler is a cute little town. It'd be the town I'd live near had we settled on that part of OK. Enjoy your trip. Sounds like fun.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Geneology is some cool stuff. My brother and aunte did a lot of ours. I haven't dove into it much though. I drive Hwys 31 and 270 from McAlester area to Wister/Poteau areas a couple times a month. Very pretty drives for sure. Stigler is a cute little town. It'd be the town I'd live near had we settled on that part of OK. Enjoy your trip. Sounds like fun.
Thanks. I like the family history a lot. I have a BA in history and my brother has a Masters and seems to find time to do the research. A few years ago we visited the cemetery in Combs, AR on a similar mission inspired by a photo of our grandfather and Governor Faubus. Grandpa had given a speech there at the request of the governor. Faubus is buried there in a little hillside cemetery among many of my kin. It turns out that his father and my grandmother's father were leaders in this poor Hill country community.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
She sold Donna’s last year. Now it is just called the Malt Shop. The new owners cleaned it up and painted it quite a bit. Still pretty good food. Just new face and quite a bit cleaner.

The Rail Fence Cafe on Hwy 100 North of gore is about the best food we have found around there. It is BBQ. It’s past the Lower Illinois public fishing area and before your get to the power house. Pretty close to the Rock Quarry entrance.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Rai...2oFHcE0AVsQ_coHegQIFhAB&biw=390&bih=745&dpr=3
That's kind of sad to hear. The filth added a certain ambience, IMHO.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Place Bar-B-Que in Muskogee is really good, or it was back in the day. I looked of Trip advisor and the reviews are still really good. I preferred the one on the east side.

Hamlin's was good okie-mex back in the day, but it ain't for everyone. Probably would not recommend for someone just passing thru.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taking a short road trip on Friday to Kinta/Stigler area. Leaving from Broken Arrow.

We're always on the lookout for great places to eat, but haven't been in this area for a very long time.

Recommendations for a great place to have lunch are appreciated. We won't mind deviating a little.

Thanks
When I go to Muskogee I eat at Coltons, Very good steakhouse.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shelly's Cafe in Stigler was good but it's been a couple of years since I was there. Pretty large menu for a small town cafe.
We chose Shelly's and it was very good. Comfort food buffet: catfish, fried chicken, brown beans, fried potatoes, cornbread, greens, & salad bar. $9.99

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We chose Shelly's and it was very good. Comfort food buffet: catfish, fried chicken, brown beans, fried potatoes, cornbread, greens, & salad bar. $9.99
Good to hear. Nothing worse than recommending a restaurant to someone only to have the food or service or both suck lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom