Good Luck!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would have loved to have made it out tonight but couldn’t get away in time. Gonna try my best to get out tomorrow evening.
I feel ya. I wanted to sit all day but had to leave town until late tomorrow night, which means Wednesday evening will be my next earliest possible opportunity

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's small I know, but I really wanted meat in my freezer. Now I can focus on a trophy.
37b11013220a9448b84af789476eee1b.jpg

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots to take away from this hunt. 1. I'm never shooting schwackers again. I knew I put the hurt on him, but no blood trail to speak of. He came through at 6:37 this morning going north on the trail. I drew back and was going to stop him when I realized I could only see the black of my peep because it turned sideways on me. So I let him go. 50 minutes later he came through again heading south (both times he was just walking, but had no intention of stopping.) I flung the arrow at him at 25 yards and aside from being about 2" forward, it was right where I wanted it. An hour later I got down knowing he was only 50 yards away because the shot felt perfect. I thought I got a clean pass so expected good blood. To shorten the story, 30 yards away I found the arrow, 4 more yards and I saw blood. 3 more yards and a 4 way diverging trail and no sign which way he went. (It should be noted I'm as horrible tracker). I never saw more blood and looked around before decided to go for the dog (which has absolutely 0% tracking experience). But I knew he had to be in the woods somewhere close by. I got her, went back to the arrow, let her sniff around on it and we went the direction I thought he went. She kept her nose to the ground as she always does, and 20 yards later stopped. I looked where she focused and saw blood, confirming at least which trail he took. 5 yards later she detoured to a side trail sniffed, and came back to the main trail. The main trail didn't seem entertaining to her so I decided to focus on the side trail which went into the woods 15 yards then paralleled the main trail. It looked disturbed recently and her nose was going crazy in the air so followed the trail, which led to him 30 yards up. All in all he made it 110 yards I'd guess.

So takeaways.
1. Schwackers got the job done, but lack of trail on two deer now means they're trash.
2. My brothers dog would do really well as a tracker and needs some training. I never ever would have found it I don't think without her help, and she would have gone straight to it if she knew the game.

Sorry for the long post, I'm resting up before going back to the field for him.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Good post!

I don't understand why more hunters don't use dogs to track fallen game.

I hear so many times about someone trying to find their deer, sometimes for many hours and calling friends to help.

It seems that if a group of friends hunted a lot that it would be a big help if at least one of them had a good tracking dog.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots to take away from this hunt. 1. I'm never shooting schwackers again. I knew I put the hurt on him, but no blood trail to speak of. He came through at 6:37 this morning going north on the trail. I drew back and was going to stop him when I realized I could only see the black of my peep because it turned sideways on me. So I let him go. 50 minutes later he came through again heading south (both times he was just walking, but had no intention of stopping.) I flung the arrow at him at 25 yards and aside from being about 2" forward, it was right where I wanted it. An hour later I got down knowing he was only 50 yards away because the shot felt perfect. I thought I got a clean pass so expected good blood. To shorten the story, 30 yards away I found the arrow, 4 more yards and I saw blood. 3 more yards and a 4 way diverging trail and no sign which way he went. (It should be noted I'm as horrible tracker). I never saw more blood and looked around before decided to go for the dog (which has absolutely 0% tracking experience). But I knew he had to be in the woods somewhere close by. I got her, went back to the arrow, let her sniff around on it and we went the direction I thought he went. She kept her nose to the ground as she always does, and 20 yards later stopped. I looked where she focused and saw blood, confirming at least which trail he took. 5 yards later she detoured to a side trail sniffed, and came back to the main trail. The main trail didn't seem entertaining to her so I decided to focus on the side trail which went into the woods 15 yards then paralleled the main trail. It looked disturbed recently and her nose was going crazy in the air so followed the trail, which led to him 30 yards up. All in all he made it 110 yards I'd guess.

So takeaways.
1. Schwackers got the job done, but lack of trail on two deer now means they're trash.
2. My brothers dog would do really well as a tracker and needs some training. I never ever would have found it I don't think without her help, and she would have gone straight to it if she knew the game.

Sorry for the long post, I'm resting up before going back to the field for him.

That's one of my biggest fears when bow hunting. If I get a hit and mine goes 100 yards he's most likely going to be over the fence and onto another property or into think woods. I also have poor tracking skills.

Glad you found him and had some luck today!

Latest posts

Top Bottom