Good Luck!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shooter,
Never apologize for the size of your deer. If you’re happy, that’s all that matters. Congrats!!!

On using dogs for tracking, I’m a damn good tracker, but I will always have a dog with blood trailing skills. My current Lab is a really good at trailing, but she is getting old and almost completely deaf so has to be kept close making it more difficult.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On using dogs for tracking, I’m a damn good tracker, but I will always have a dog with blood trailing skills. My current Lab is a really good at trailing, but she is getting old and almost completely deaf so has to be kept close making it more difficult.

I'm in the same boat. Arthritis has retired my 11 year old bloodhound. Thinking about it makes me miss being drug thru briar patches.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shooter,
Never apologize for the size of your deer. If you’re happy, that’s all that matters. Congrats!!!

It wasn't so much of an apology as it was an attempt to shut down any potential "why in the world would anyone shoot a youngster" comments. More of a "I'm not bragging about the size, just sharing I finally got success.

The funny thing is my 13 year old niece is the only one that said anything. It was her dog that helped me get the deer back so she was excited about that, but when I saw her and she had already seen the deer her first comment wasn't about the dog, but "your deer's antlers are REALLY small!"

"Bigger than your deer's antlers you little jerk!". :)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The funny thing is my 13 year old niece is the only one that said anything. It was her dog that helped me get the deer back so she was excited about that, but when I saw her and she had already seen the deer her first comment wasn't about the dog, but "your deer's antlers are REALLY small!

First of all, congrats again on your deer. I'll never disrespect someone that has put in the time to be in the stand and take the deer they want.
Here is my reply for your Niece's comment, she is the product of the ODW wild life training program that is advertising to hold off on the smaller bucks and let them grow.
That is a program that is working. Oklahoma is getting a reputation for big bucks.
That being said, if one is in a position with limited time to hunt, and minimal opportunities, shoot what you want and be happy/proud with it.
Don't let anybody attempt to shame you for a smaller buck.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This mornings stare down
IMG_1499.PNG

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the 10 points I've been getting pictures of almost messed up tonight.

He stepped out onto the green field at 60 yards. I'll shoot that distance at a target but can't make myself try to pull it off on a deer.

I let him eat a couple minutes so I could contain my shaking. I hit the grunt a few times and here he comes. Hunting from a ground blind, I'm at full draw. He circles behind me and gets behind a cedar. Seriously, less than 10 yards away. I tried to grunt him out in front of me but instead listened to him walk around behind me until dark.

I'll try it again tomorrow morning.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my taste of public land hunt interruption this morning, different too. Was getting my stand set up at first light, when I realized there was a climbing stand set up on the base of a tree about 50 yards from me. Wasn't there the last time I was in the area, but it's public land so whatever... I continue my sit. As daylight starts showing up, I see there is a crossbow and pack on the ground next to the stand. I'm thinking "damn this guy is super trusting of everyone." Well, 8:30 rolls around and I see a guy walking through the field in an orange vest holding some sort of small scoped rifle. My first thought was looks like I need to make a call to a warden. I watch him wander his way closer, all while smoking a cigarette. He puts it out on a tree and then makes a fast walk to the stand. I whistle, he looks for me and I wave. He politely and quietly packed up his gear and walked off in the direction I USUALLY have deer come from.

Who carries a rifle to their tree stand during archery season? Does anyone know if you can text a game warden or is it probably dependent on the warden?

The hunting interruption really didn't bother me, but it did irritate the hell out of me watching him smoke his way all the way to his stand. I'm over it, it is public land... but really!?

On the other hand, I put up a cam on a scrape line close to there and got some activity. All night time pics still though. Also, last pic is of a buck that has begun making random passes at the does on our 5 acres of land. Wish his brow tine wasn't broke off!

Attachments

• IMG_3515.JPG
    IMG_3515.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3517.JPG
    IMG_3517.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3518.JPG
    IMG_3518.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 91
  • PRMS0012.JPG
    PRMS0012.JPG