Goofing around with guns and camera today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I wanted to get down into the deep shade, and didn't realize I was really too far from the camera. Gun is an Uberti Single Action in .44-40. The smokeless loads were mid-range Trail Boss, and the good ones were 2.2CC of Goex FFFg.

I got a good flame shot from my .45-70, but didn't include it on the video.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I wanted to get down into the deep shade, and didn't realize I was really too far from the camera. Gun is an Uberti Single Action in .44-40. The smokeless loads were mid-range Trail Boss, and the good ones were 2.2CC of Goex FFFg.

Might be pretty impressive about dusk with flame shooting 10" out of the barrel.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Cool, so you found some GoEx? Did you pick it up at Dong's when you were in town? I've got some FFFg that I want to use in some 45LC and 38 loads. Just haven't got around to it yet.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I dont seem to be able to post a new thread?
So at the risk of hijacking yours , Ill bump it for you.
You seem to be the man to ask anyway.
Im new to black powder..
I recently aquired a 10g double barrel shotgun.
Ill look up the specs on loading ,I have some idea. Unless you want to offer some..of course... ;)
Is there anything I should look for as far as ...safe to shoot?
There isnt any pitting or rust, the stock is solid, the nipples? seem in good shape.
The hammers and triggers work smoothly.
Any help would be appreciated...Thanks
Cool videos ,by the way

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm assuming your talking percussion ignition since you mentioned nipples. First off, make sure you've got a clear flame channel. Use a nipple pick or small wire. Second, pop some caps on it, to make sure you've got enough hammer spring strength, and also to clear out any oil or debris that may be in the channel. Clean the barrels with hot soapy water, dry them thoroughly, and use Bore Butter, olive oil, or Crisco as a rust protectant. Don't use any oil made for modern smokeless powder. Eezox is another excellent choice if you can find it. Olive oil will eventually dry and harden, but not for several months.

Third, don't try to make a cannon out of it. Start out small. Get a set of Lee Dippers, start with say a 3.5cc load of Fg or FFg genuine black powder. APP FFg would be my second choice. Pop some more caps before loading, then load powder, wad, an equal volume of shot, and another wad. You can buy wads from Track of the Wolf, or you can just use wadded up newspaper or cotton cloth. As dry as it is, be very careful where you shoot. You don't want to start a wildfire. Put the shotgun on an old tire or something, a Caldwell Lead Sled is excellent for test firing, and tie strings to the triggers, and test fire from a safe distance. Several times. If everything holds together you can start working up stouter loads. After shooting, clean thoroughly with hot soapy water, and lube it again. Check it the next day for rust or corrosion. Then check it on a regular basis.

That's the safest way I can tell you. Be warned, welded twist iron barrels can have hidden defects that even magna-fluxing cannot detect. There is always a chance a barrel will let go. Anytime you shoot an old shotgun like this you're risking the shotgun and possible injury. If you have a bad gut feeling about the gun listen to your gut. If you think it's in perfect shape, still be extremely careful with it.

The loads I use in my 10 gauge would embarrass a 20 gauge as far as power goes, but they'll still knock over steel in Cowboy Action.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Terry thats what I was lookin for.
Im not gonna be huntin bufalo or nothing, just want to shoot it a couple times.
Yea the fire coming out of the end would be cool to see.
Ill get her cleaned up and try to post something on it.
Not letting me post New Thread for some reason...?
Keep up the videos, there pretty cool to watch...Thanks again....Sonny

Latest posts

Top Bottom