Got a Beaver problem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm all in for the largest explosion you can make!!
I can see the fun and excitement in it but not always the best choice per situation. Had a cousin unintentionally redirect a quarter mile to half a mile of river trying to blow up beaver dams in a southern state. The State Wildlife Dept had some questions for him also. The investigation went on for awhile before they dropped it. Because of a agriculture law that gave him the right to deal with the beaver by any means that he deemed necessary, not the state.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reason I ask is - beavers like running water whereas, not necessarily favorable, muskrats will hole up in ponds. This is your land, and you know what you want it used for and what you want out of it; but be careful what you ask for. Beavers have gotten a bad rap on their destruction but give them little boogers a year or so and see what happens. They are pretty smart; they know more about what they are doing than our government when it comes to water and land management. They are less expensive than child labor, they have all the environmental permits in place already, and they actually want to make the area better. There are lots of videos about them restoring the lands and I have personally seen in. I had a "beaver problem" once and finally gave up and about two years later it was an entirely different piece of land. Now, what you are after may not be conducive to their work, but do a little research before you kill all them critters off. Trust me, I am not a tree huger, and I have shot them with my buddies that "by gosh I don't want them" - but I'm telling you, stop and think about what you want as an end result.

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I take it that this pond is built on a stream of some sort, not just a dug out reservior type pond?
6 ponds, fed from a 13 acre reservoir. I understand what your saying, but its not my property, or choice. I'm just happy to accommodate the land owner!

I have watched videos about how beavers create large meadows and beneficial environment changes, depending on your perspective. If they were allowed to go free in here though...they'd eventually blow out the bottom of the reservoir and turn this all back into a soggy year round drain field that would kill off thousands of acres of rich farmland in the surrounding area. I believe there's a legal commitment to the property owner, to maintain the levels of water that flow through this area throughout the year.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The OP’s suggestion of using smoke bombs is illegal.
Working from memory it’s illegal to take game by aid of smoke and fire.
That being said, I don’t know if beaver are considered game or a nuisance animal.
I’d sure query the local GW before going down that path.
As has been said, 3-4 330 body traps will get them every time.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
His Den is built into the causeway bank of my pond. He's got at least 3 entrance tunnels exposed, although there could be more below the waterline. The amount of "engineering" they've done to the area, it seems likely that there is a whole family.

I need to take them all at once. If I don't get them all, they could relocate just a couple hundred yards away to the main reservoir...which would be a bad thing. They could entrench on the far end on someone else's property, but still effect the entire reservoir shoreline.

I don't want to mess around with traps, so I was thinking that if I brought over a couple buddies, and we just muzzle covered all the entrances while I dropped a smoke bomb down the dens central air shaft, we'd have a better chance at getting them all. Last night however....I realized I still have a couple firework grade mortar rounds available. One of those might very well kill everything inside such an enclosed space, without doing additional damage to the causeway.
If it doesn't kill 'em directly...they sure aren't gonna have their full wits about them when they do come out!
I love the comments !! But I’m all seriousness if you need an extra gun to help out you can give me a shout, be happy to help !!

Latest posts

Top Bottom