Got a chance to shoot that S&W 10-5 PPC revolver.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took some time this morning from chores, and went down behind the barn. I took a partial box of my reloads, 40 total.
I shot 3 targets, 12 rounds on the first two, and 16 rounds on the third.

I'm showing only the third, and best, target. 16 shots, 7 yds. standing, 2 hands.
P1010175 (Custom).jpeg

I learned several things.
First - this revolver is meant to shoot double-action.
Second - the trigger stroke should be a complete, smooth, all the way thru stroke. Trying to 'stage' the break makes things much, much worse.
Third - I will probably never shoot to this revolvers' potential.

An interesting feature - the old-style brazed trigger stop. You can see it somewhat in the above pic.

Better pic here

10-5 PPC trigger stop right (Custom).jpeg

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice PPC gun.

Any clue on the barrel manufacturer? Is it a Douglas?

I don't know your personal preferences, but those fingergroove grips would do me absolutely no favors. A .265 or .312 trigger seems to be much more beneficial for DA work. Can't tell by the photo if that's a .312 or .400 that's installed.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like the grip either. It's a Hogue Monogrip, the first that I can remember using, that came on the revolver. I've got a Bill Davis grip that is currently on a 14-3, I'm going to try it on this 10-5.

The trigger is .400, and I have no problems with it.

I have no clue what brand the barrel is. I would like to know how to identify it.

I had a wonderful conversation with the man from whom I purchased the gun, just a few weeks ago at the Wanenmacher show.
He claimed to have purchased the revolver new, and sent it off to be modified. This happened in the mid to late 60's, which is consistent with the -5 Smith.
While he was great fun to talk to, he was hazy in the details.

I need to shoot this revolver much more.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I despise most fingergroove grips, especially Hogues and especially on revolvers. I hold a revolver extremely high (thumb webbing nearly over the top of the backstrap) and this is impossible to do with the placement of the fingergrooves which force your hand down towards the base of the grip.

I look forward to seeing pics of the gun with the Bill Davis grips on it. The barrel and aristocrat sight rib actually look very similar to the combination that Davis used on his custom guns.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suspect it is a Bill Davis build. That's what stopped me from walking by at the show.
The previous owner said he sent it to "...somewhere in California. There was a guy that built a lot of these back then...."

There are other little things; chamfered cylinder charge holes, a butter smooth DA trigger pull....just a sweet gun to shoot.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love that gun. I think I saw it on the table at Wannamacher but in the interest of my sanity I kept walking. I've put about a bazillion rounds through those things, if you need some coaching on the DA trigger technique, just give me a shout, I'm pretty close. FWIW, I love the Pachmyer "Gripper" but if you don't like the Hogue's, you wont like the Pachmyer's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom