Got Crack?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on the knowledge that I have, especially since I grew up in the county that was the epicenter of the Dust Bowl (namely, Cimarron County), we aren't even close to that problem. The Dust Bowl was caused because the farmers of old broke out too much grassland and didn't farm properly. Farmers today do it differently.
Yes, that's the history I remember.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have two big cracks...

crack 1.jpg
crack 2.jpg

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I wasn't even a twinkle in my parents eyes back then but this lingering drought has me concerned that another 'dust bowl' may eventually become a reality in Oklahoma [again].

It gets pretty dusty up here in the Panhandle lately. I think a lot of farmers/ranchers are taking their land out of the CRP program and tilling it up. These are quarters or sections of land that hasn’t been touched since the 30’s probably.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Based on the knowledge that I have, especially since I grew up in the county that was the epicenter of the Dust Bowl (namely, Cimarron County), we aren't even close to that problem. The Dust Bowl was caused because the farmers of old broke out too much grassland and didn't farm properly. Farmers today do it differently.
Oh, I don't figure it to happen anytime soon but native grasses have been replaced with less drought tolerant plantings and if/when the soil dries out enough to cause wide-spread withering of most/all ground cover, then it's only the wind breaks and soil topography arrangement that [hopefully] prevents our soil from going airborne. Yes, techniques have changed but that alone may not suffice if the drought lasts long enough.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But you have to take into consideration that there isnt as much bare ground as there was back in the 30's cities have grown with taller buildings and more roadways

Latest posts

Top Bottom