Got Dove

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I read, it is recommended to use #8, #7.5, or #7 shot, right? I don't know much about bird hunting, so... any advice is welcome.
Not an expert, but I'd go with the lower end of shot (larger shot equals longer range). And dove fly really fast, so don't forget to lead 'em a good bit if they're traveling left/right across your field of view.

Just my :twocents: (keep the change)... :drunk2:

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably the least number of doves I've ever seen in this part of the state ever, almost none.

I’ve had really good luck just a few miles from the house here. But, I’m headed your way thereabouts with not good reports of many birds. Hunting with a couple friends from college so it’s not about limits but about good friends and good times.

You guys just bring your lawn chairs and set up in my front yard! But, you're on your own dealing with the authorities!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not an expert, but I'd go with the lower end of shot (larger shot equals longer range). And dove fly really fast, so don't forget to lead 'em a good bit if they're traveling left/right across your field of view.

Just my :twocents: (keep the change)... :drunk2:

While my daughter is shooting trap, I often sit around and visit with some of the other parents and we got to talking about what each kid was shooting and why. I was pretty amazed at the amount of shot in various loads, pretty interesting in comparison. They say it takes three #7.5 pellets to break a clay, and five #8 pellets. There's a pretty big difference in the number of pellets in the loads below. Lot's of shot in the air really fills in any potential gaps in your pattern imo. That said, barely 200 pieces of #8 lead in a 1/2oz .410 load, and they drop just as dead lol :)

#8 Shot #7.5 Shot #6 Shot

1oz- 409 345 232
1 1/8oz- 460 388 251

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Scouted my honey hole tonight, and Like Okie4570 said, ain't many birds.
Saw two dozen at best and they were just loafing. When they harvest the 1/4 section of sunflowers 1/2 mile away in a few weeks that place will probably be alive with birds. Right now there are bean fields and uncut milo fields. Harvest anyone of those, and its game on.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been scouting all over central Okla. Not many as years past. I think that flood we got about 3 or 4 weeks ago has something to do with it. 7.5 shot, mod choke, 20g has always worked for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom