Got me a new ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did buy Subaru's factory Gold level warranty with the 2019, a bumper to bumper 10 yr, 100,000 mi, $0 deductible one. First time I've ever bought an extended warranty of any kind. Vehicles these days are so complex that I don't expect to be able to fix most things under the shade tree anymore. The factory extended warranty has a list price, like the vehicle. Yes, if you know what the real low market price is, you can get that when the time comes during closing of the sale. I plopped that low price quote on the table; they went with it. Saved myself several hundred dollars. Those other sale closing warranties are also subject to negotiation. Do your homework before you close on the vehicle.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're gonna be looking hard at the Suburus later this year when The Boy gets his license. We'll probably give him The Wife's Escape and get her something newer.

OMG you are getting old ... Lol (I have GRANDKIDS older than him!)

Congrats on the new vehicle, Tanis!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did buy Subaru's factory Gold level warranty with the 2019, a bumper to bumper 10 yr, 100,000 mi, $0 deductible one. First time I've ever bought an extended warranty of any kind. Vehicles these days are so complex that I don't expect to be able to fix most things under the shade tree anymore. The factory extended warranty has a list price, like the vehicle. Yes, if you know what the real low market price is, you can get that when the time comes during closing of the sale. I plopped that low price quote on the table; they went with it. Saved myself several hundred dollars. Those other sale closing warranties are also subject to negotiation. Do your homework before you close on the vehicle.
Same here. But mine only went to 60k miles. I only bought it because it was a factory warranty extension. Subaru service, Subaru parts and all that jazz. Of course the about to be ex-wife burned through it in a little over a year on mileage so a fat lot a good it did me, but it was the first extended warranty I've ever bought. Had it been an "add-on" insurance policy like most I would have told them to pound sand like usual.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, all these fancy schmancy buttons got to me today. I have the electric rear hatch (came standard with this model) and today it wouldn't open but about 6 inches. I looked up on several websites and apparently the 2019 model had an issue with their door sensor. So I tried the work around they suggested, nothing. Then my wife does a search and found there is a button on the left of the steering wheel that is a memory on/off for the rear hatch. It was pressed. Since we never set a height for it, the default is 6 inches. Turned it off, and bam, hatch now opens fully.

The other feature that is both cool and scary is the auto lane stay when in cruise. I can turn it on and the car will keep itself between the lines, even on curves. Although it does yell at if you take your hands off the wheel for longer than 3 seconds. The adaptive cruise control w/eyesight is both cool and tiresome as it slows you down if a car in front of you gets too close. So, it leaves a nice big gap that everyone and their cousin decides to hop in, which slows you down even more...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a 2019 Outback Premium new from Ferguson Subaru 2 years ago. Excellent buying experience. The Outback/Forrester/Ascent SUV series has exceptional ground clearance. Subaru's symetrical AWD system is awesome. Tested the AWD out thoroughly on wet roads and snow; will get you there and back when other most vehicles can't even get out on the roads.

I deliberately bought an Outback WITHOUT moon roof, electric rear gate and navigation. All makes have problems with these, including Subaru. What's not on the car cannot cause problems. Also got the standard key ignition, likewise to avid problems that the fobs can bring. Added certain key features, such as auto dimming outside mirrors and Subaru remote start, to make it more safe and pleasant. I get 26 mpg around town and 32 mpg on the open road.

Some folks add lift kits and change rims/tires. Skid plates and other features are available if you plan to get on the roads less traveled.
I'm, not bashing your decision what so ever. I believe in someone getting what they want for whatever reason and understand your reasoning. Your not alone in that concept.
That being said, I buy vehicles with all the bells and whistles they provide and love it. I'm a technology guy. We have two vehicles with all the accessories and one that doesn't.
It's became hard to not have multiple back up cameras in the low tech model. That feature I especially love. Always back into a parking spot, never drive into one.
It's amazing to watch the person sitting in the vehicle behind me when backing in's facial expression when stopping about a foot from their front bumper. Love the bluetooth, voice commands, auto start, hot spot, lane change, Auto start/lock auto tail gate release and all that stuff.
Have a second camera in the cab/bed lights that let me look at the king pin on the RV hitch and watch it lock in.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, all these fancy schmancy buttons got to me today. I have the electric rear hatch (came standard with this model) and today it wouldn't open but about 6 inches. I looked up on several websites and apparently the 2019 model had an issue with their door sensor. So I tried the work around they suggested, nothing. Then my wife does a search and found there is a button on the left of the steering wheel that is a memory on/off for the rear hatch. It was pressed. Since we never set a height for it, the default is 6 inches. Turned it off, and bam, hatch now opens fully.

The other feature that is both cool and scary is the auto lane stay when in cruise. I can turn it on and the car will keep itself between the lines, even on curves. Although it does yell at if you take your hands off the wheel for longer than 3 seconds. The adaptive cruise control w/eyesight is both cool and tiresome as it slows you down if a car in front of you gets too close. So, it leaves a nice big gap that everyone and their cousin decides to hop in, which slows you down even more...
No matter how long you own one of these new tech friendly vehicles, there is always something new to find.
YouTube is more helpful than the owners manual.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

You can increase or decrease that distance on the cruise. There's a button on the steering wheel that cycles through the programmed distances. I found that setting a long following distance increases the amount of braking, sometimes frustratingly so.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can increase or decrease that distance on the cruise. There's a button on the steering wheel that cycles through the programmed distances. I found that setting a long following distance increases the amount of braking, sometimes frustratingly so.

I figured as much, just have not done much highway driving since we got it to play with it.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I leave the lane keeping feature "off" except on long open highway trips. When "on" the effort on the steering wheel is noticeably greater. Also it and I are constantly in disagreement as I dodge the inevitable Oklahoma potholes, especially on narrow roads.

The Outback has had a problem with battery life for several years. It's looking like the cause is a module on the electric rear hatch. There is now a TSB out with a "b" variation replacement module available. Do some looking on the Subaru Outback forums for details.

Latest posts

Top Bottom