Got my buck on opening day!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. That's what a GW said several years ago about mounts listed on Craigslist.

There was a Axis deer mount listed on there earlier this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's another question. Since the Axis is a non-native animal, originally introduced for canned hunting,
is there a possibility that the law would not apply to it?

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok,
So the next question on my mind,
WHY is it illegal to sell mounts in Oklahoma?
The animal has previously been tagged & paid for. The state organizations already got their money out of it, why is it illegal for the person clear space on the wall and sell a couple of mounts?

Most likely to keep someone from making a business out of killing wildlife for profit, would be my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has never made any sense to me. @Sampson probably has as good a guess as any. I, too, have a friend who was issued a citation several years ago for selling a whitetail mount. I have wondered if it was because there was no requirement to maintain documenation to show the animal was taken legally, i.e. deer tag. But, that doesn't make any sense either. My African trophies had to go through all kinds of scrutinization, i.e. vet inspections, CITES permits, export permits, Customs inspections, etc. (And, they ALL cost money!) However, I could not prove that the mounts hanging on my walls are those specific animals named in all of that paperwork! It seems that it would be a nightmare to confirm. So, hey, just make it all illegal and we don't have to worry about it. Sucks, as far as I'm concerned. AFAIK, there is no prohibition on donating them. So, if my kids don't want them, it is in my will that they will be donated. The state, feds, whomever, have made this way too difficult and muddled!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has never made any sense to me. @Sampson probably has as good a guess as any. I, too, have a friend who was issued a citation several years ago for selling a whitetail mount. I have wondered if it was because there was no requirement to maintain documenation to show the animal was taken legally, i.e. deer tag. But, that doesn't make any sense either. My African trophies had to go through all kinds of scrutinization, i.e. vet inspections, CITES permits, export permits, Customs inspections, etc. (And, they ALL cost money!) However, I could not prove that the mounts hanging on my walls are those specific animals named in all of that paperwork! It seems that it would be a nightmare to confirm. So, hey, just make it all illegal and we don't have to worry about it. Sucks, as far as I'm concerned. AFAIK, there is no prohibition on donating them. So, if my kids don't want them, it is in my will that they will be donated. The state, feds, whomever, have made this way too difficult and muddled!
Your african trophies are perfectly legal to sell, transfer, lease, or whatever.
The issue is that there is a big market across the country for quality mounts like BP, Cabelas, Office buildings, Ski resorts, etc.
With a market willing to pay good money for mounts there is a black market from Oklahoma and other states where it's not legal to sell, funneling those mounts into the market through states that do allow selling of mounts.
Kansas doesn't have restrictions about selling a mount or at least they didn't, so the Lacey act has been used in Oklahoma against poachers that not only take their limit of bucks but have no problem taking more at night with a spotlight to make more quality mounts to have someone in Ks sell for them.
There have been several busts over the years for that very purpose.
Some in the area I hunt.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I think it’s ridiculous that a person can’t sell their mounts. I ABSOLUTELY UNDERSTAND THE REASONING BEHIND IT, BUT....
If I buy a license, “pay” for a hunt, take the animal by legal means, and pay to have the animal mounted, in my opinion, I “bought” the animal from “the state” and should be able to do whatever I want with it.:anyone:

Let’s go further down the rabbit hole, what’s the difference in a person leasing their land for someone to hunt on it?!? For all practical purposes, the land owner is selling wildlife (that they don’t own) to someone else for profit.:saywhat:

Yes, I am a sh*t stir-er (just ask DeerSlayer).:rollingla

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom