Got to hit the range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been a long time, me and my 2 boys hit the range today, was nice to relax and shoot a few. Only downside was we had some ah set up 2 lanes down with a side blow brake. Dang he was making everyone miserable. We all had headaches before we left, and we had plugs and muffs. I expressed my dislike plenty loud enough to hear, looked like an all new setup, so he either didn’t know common courtesy or didn’t care, my bet is on the latter.
We didn’t stay long, there were maybe 10 people total when we got there, by the time we were ready to leave, it was shoulder to shoulder. I would’ve left when it hit 15, but really had to dial my new 6.5 in.
All in all, was a decent day, at least the weather straightened out by about 11.

rj ︈

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out the wildlife management areas nearby and see if they have a range and pick up a hunting license. You'll get access to the range (usually not the longest range, but comparable to any indoor range distances) and you'll end up avoiding the crowds and if you do run into a guy with a brake on, it isn't as bad outdoors.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out the wildlife management areas nearby and see if they have a range and pick up a hunting license. You'll get access to the range (usually not the longest range, but comparable to any indoor range distances) and you'll end up avoiding the crowds and if you do run into a guy with a brake on, it isn't as bad outdoors.
This was outdoors! Canadian, Gene Sears, whatever it’s called. Of course the back wall and roof makes for an enclosed area, so 1 muzzle brake, and it’ll rattle the world lol. I can’t believe with everything not allowed there, they haven’t outlawed brakes too. I think a guy should be able to shoot what he wants, it’s just a common courtesy thing with a brake. At least go to the end you know. Like I said, this looked like an all new setup, probably a new shooter too. Doubtful he knew how much louder a brake makes them. Probably thought that’s a normal volume.
I do want to try some WMA ranges. My buddy only shoots at Lex, but never on weekends or holidays. He says he rarely has company out there.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always felt guilty about shoot my muzzle brake rifles at the range, but per range rules there are no uncovered areas where I can shoot from.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am heading to the 100yd lanes at Wilshire this week to sight in the two hog guns I just finished. I have Dead Air Keymount Brakes on both in anticipation of getting a couple of cans.

What is the common courtesy or range etiquette? I have no idea how loud these will be compared to other brakes. I have already called and talked to one of the RO's for when their least busy times typically are and will call again right before I head up there. I figure I can tell them I have brakes on both rifles when they assign me to a lane and go from there. Is that sufficient with a heads up to any neighbors that may be there?

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am heading to the 100yd lanes at Wilshire this week to sight in the two hog guns I just finished. I have Dead Air Keymount Brakes on both in anticipation of getting a couple of cans.

What is the common courtesy or range etiquette? I have no idea how loud these will be compared to other brakes. I have already called and talked to one of the RO's for when their least busy times typically are and will call again right before I head up there. I figure I can tell them I have brakes on both rifles when they assign me to a lane and go from there. Is that sufficient with a heads up to any neighbors that may be there?

Indoor ranges are loud regardless, so I don't think you really have any options.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot at Wilshire and don't think you will have that much of a problem on the 100 yard ranges. Prior to getting the linear comps I have now, the most trouble I had was brakes blowing around the targets of people shooting pistol, next to me. Not really a problem on the long range. I flat out remove my shotgun brake if I'm going to shoot it there, it's brutal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom