Gotta brag on Savage service a minute..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last week 3-20 I was eyeing over my prime diller boppin weapon the Savage b-mag 17wsm cuz the tang safety seemed a tic mo difficult to operate than it once was. I rarely use the safety on a weapon cuz I usually leave the fired round in there or drop the mag on this one, clear chamber, close bolt and reinsert mag. The reason I have such a practice on this particular piece of weaponry is cuz they've got a safety system that I don't like and can cause you to miss a shot opportunity cuz you weren't cocked when you thought you were. For those unfamiliar, it goes like this, if you have the safety on and load a round in the chamber then you drive around and see a giaganormous bull diller and you flip the bipod out as you're goin to the ground for max stabilical control and you get this beast lined up in the cross hairs, flip safety off, deactivate accutrigger blade then you know it's bout to be diller stew for the buzzards but the trigger just keeps creeping for 17 miles.....guess what... you had the safety on when you chambered a round and the bolt DID NOT cock. So now ya gotta flip the bolt handle up and down to cock this booger. Now, the bolt cocking/bolt handle going downward is stiff on these puppies and makes a nice racket when you get her locked up. Since I've gotten more familiar with this diller/coyote killin machine and learned how everything should feel, I catch myself if I load it with the safety on cuz the handle goes down smooth. Anyhow, since my girls are into diller slayin too, I like having a functional safety for them to use for good practices. Anyhow, this story is about........oh yeah, Savage service. As I was lookin the rifle over I noticed a crack in the laminate stock originating in the bolt handle cut-out and headed for the barrel end. Well, that ain't good I told myself, did that happen when I rolled the atv with her in the rack that one time or was it when she bounced out of the gun rack and hit the dirt when I was in high speed get somewhere mode after I rolled the daggum four wheeler and was running late after having to spend time getting the four wheeler upright and get the 17 wizzem loaded back up? Idk. So, I decided I better call Savage and get me a stock coming. I've seen other folks have the same issue with the safety not operating smooth after time so I ain't gonna deal with that cuz Savage would probably want me to send the rifle in and that ain't happening cuz this baby is a tack driver even after being involved in a couple atv accidents. Oh, how bout that vortex takin a beating and still shootin dead nuts on dillers too! So, I call Savage, fella asks for serial number, then he says it's fairly new, I say yeah I bought it 4-24-18 and he says gimme your address and I'll get you a new stock sent out with a return shipping label so you can send us the defective one. I says, ok Savage guy you gots a deal!
New stock arrived today. I gotta admit I liked the lighter colors on the old cracked one better but the new one ain't horrible. But, I never cared much for the kinda yellow colored spot near the butt end of the old one. And I didn't like the crack in the old one. I'm plum happy with Savage service in this matter.
IMG_4085.JPG
IMG_4086.JPG
IMG_4160.JPG
IMG_4161.JPG

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a good report considering they are still a company with only a 1 year warranty. I picked up a HB 17 HMR Savage a couple weeks ago with the hopes of finding some land ridden critters for my son to shoot. Its my first savage and it also is a little tack driver. My only complaint the tupperware stock is an absolute POS. I put a bipod on it and its more flexible than a gymnast.

I looked at Boyds, which is what I believe Savage is using on your gun from looking at Rimfire central. I see a stock offering on boys site but don't see a triger guard anywhere online. Is the bottom on your gun just open or is there any type of bottom metal on it around the magwell?

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats a good report considering they are still a company with only a 1 year warranty. I picked up a HB 17 HMR Savage a couple weeks ago with the hopes of finding some land ridden critters for my son to shoot. Its my first savage and it also is a little tack driver. My only complaint the tupperware stock is an absolute POS. I put a bipod on it and its more flexible than a gymnast.

I looked at Boyds, which is what I believe Savage is using on your gun from looking at Rimfire central. I see a stock offering on boys site but don't see a triger guard anywhere online. Is the bottom on your gun just open or is there any type of bottom metal on it around the magwell?
My stock is indeed a Boyd's. No metal in mag well. Just wood.

Latest posts

Top Bottom