Gotta love Lyman Customer Service, or the lack there of

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Brand new set of Lyman Dies for .300 Blackout. Cleaned all the crud out of the die, wiped clean and dry. Lubed case with Sinclair Imperial inside and out. Resize case, stuck case #1. Remove the case and tossed. Lets try that again.

Took die apart and deep cleaned it again, just to make sure. No burs, no damage to die, very clean. Lube case as before with a little more than normal. Stuck case #2. Remove the case and tossed. Lets try this a 3rd time.

Swapped shell holder from the Lyman to my Hornady shell holder that has held up to 1000's of 5.56/.223 cases. Lube like normal and stuck case #3. This time expander ball broke from the decaping step while removing the case.

Stop and give Lyman a call. I was sent through 2 people before I found someone. This CS rep says that it had to of been my lube because this doesn't happen to their dies. When I asked him what made him come to that conclusion over the phone when I hadn't mentioned the lube I used at this point. I got put on hold and given to someone else. New guy comes back and says I have to ship it to them, 6-8 week turn around for a 20 dollar die. 6-8 Weeks I asked him? He explained they have to take time to inspect it, polish it and make sure it works. He couldn't answer me when I asked why this wasn't done prior to selling an 70-80 dollar set of dies.

I wonder if companies that make you send the product back to them (on your dime), bank on the fact that you will just toss it in the trash and get another one. Juice aint worth the squeeze on this die. First time dealing with Lyman CS. I kinda thought better things from them.

Last edited:

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is insane.

Any marks on case, after removal?
How do they measure against a loaded round? Unsized round?
Nothing too crazy I don't think? These are the first two. 3rd one is all torn up to try and get the expander ball back out. I don't have any ammo or loaded rounds to compare these two.

1676062826553.png

1676062856781.png

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely would have expected better from Lyman. I use a lot of their stuff ... always have in about fifty years of reloading! That's really disappointing.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
🤔 Never had any experience with Lyman dies but have formed literally thousands of 5.56 cases into 300BLK using Lee and RCBS dies. Never stuck a case yet, so something isn't right. I would try a different lube just to shoot down their theory if that's the case. Suprises me about their CS though, have dealt with Lee and RCBS with quick results even when I admitted it was my goof that caused the issue. Nobody is perfect they tell me.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's odd, I would've expected better from Lyman. I've never had any issue with Redding or RCBS dies. I've used RCBS customer service before due to my swaging tool breaking and a broken plastic part on the hand primer. Both times they shipped out a replacement part the following day, no questions asked.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would pull the expander/ decapper out
Then lube the case with lube on your fingers and send it in and see if it comes back out easier.

Now measure the expander at it's fattest section it should be around .307" or smaller.

You could actually do that first.
To make sure your measuring tool is spot on measure a few bullets if you have any jacketed ones.
Should measure .308" if that is what you are using.
You can look at a dimension chart for that case.
The case body without expander will be the same but only change is the neck portion without expander.

Latest posts

Top Bottom