Gout and Pseudogout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone else suffer from this? I was diagnosed with Pseudogout a few years. It's called "pseudo" because it mimics regular gout, but it is caused by calcium crystals rather than uric acid crystals. And brother let me tell you, when an attack comes on, it comes on fast and it comes on hard! I am in the beginning of one now, and it's getting harder to type. My hands feel like they have been smashed and my big toes are on fire. I take a med called Colchicine for it, and it usually prevents an attack, and when one does occur, it takes the top off the pain and swelling but man, it sure is taking it's sweet time this morning! I can feel it in my elbows now too. This crap is crippling! I'm gonna sign off and go soak in some hot Epsom Salts water. The hot tub would be great, but it's raining like crazy, so I will have to settle for the bathtub for now.

I wouldn't wish this on pretty much anybody...(well, okay, I admit there are a few people I'd like to wish it on).

I'll bet there are others here who have one type or the other. If anyone reading this does suffer from this nasty form of arthritis, please tell us about your experiences with it.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I feel for ya man. I deal with gout from time to time but only in my feet. I can't imagine what it's like having that type of pain all over.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have regular gout and take Allopurinol for it. If I miss a day or two, I pay for it. My right knee will damn near lock up if I don't take the pill every day. If I get to eating sweets, drink to much pop etc, it makes it worse.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My pharmacist told me that if I am having an attack taking my allopurinol prescription can make it worse.

(I take allopurinol for gout prevention)
Interesting. I took Allopurinol for a year or so but discovered that if I didn't eat a lot of pork that mine stays mostly under control.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom