Govt shutdown and elk hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i work with a guy whose SIL is supposed to have his elk hunt next Tuesday. A few calls to the ODWC and the refuge offered little help. He was told that an email will be sent out in the next couple days. He was also told that the hunt would be postponed until the following week if the shutdown ends. But, if it runs another week or so, the hunt will be NEXT season.
Extra gear has been purchased and the cabins have a 48 hour cancellation notice.
They’re good people that love to hunt, I just hope it works out for them.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sucks, but still seems like small problems when compared to others.
In the fall of 2013, a friend hosted a young man on a deer hunt in which his mother was required to accompany him. She worked at a VA Hospital IIRC. On the afternoon of the 2nd day, the young man made a great shot and dropped a doe. Congratulations and high fives were exchanged and the mother had tears rolling down her cheeks. The young man now seemed to be bumping his head on the ceiling in the blind smiling bigger than Dallas. The mother then said something that still causes the dirt in my friends eyes. "We'll be able to have meat on the table again." Single mom with 2 teenage and 1 pre teen boys and she was without a paycheck during the shut down. The young hunter earned his young man title on that hunt.
Sorry got a little wrapped up in that story my friend told me.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can pretty much be assured that the shutdown will at least well into next week.

Anything the House passes tomorrow will be Democrat show piece legislation that won't even be considered in the Senate.
I’m in no hurry, I can use a housewife for another week or two. Provided we get retro pay.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Salt Plain refuge posted a few days ago on FB that their page will not be active until further notice due to the shutdown, but I didn’t think about this kind of issue. That sucks!

When I was there today I thought about ice skating out to the middle and doing some duck hunting since nobody was around and off the clock lol :) Decided against it though lol.

20190102_153156.jpg

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sucks, but still seems like small problems when compared to others.
In the fall of 2013, a friend hosted a young man on a deer hunt in which his mother was required to accompany him. She worked at a VA Hospital IIRC. On the afternoon of the 2nd day, the young man made a great shot and dropped a doe. Congratulations and high fives were exchanged and the mother had tears rolling down her cheeks. The young man now seemed to be bumping his head on the ceiling in the blind smiling bigger than Dallas. The mother then said something that still causes the dirt in my friends eyes. "We'll be able to have meat on the table again." Single mom with 2 teenage and 1 pre teen boys and she was without a paycheck during the shut down. The young hunter earned his young man title on that hunt.
Sorry got a little wrapped up in that story my friend told me.
There's got to be a helluva lot cheaper way to put meat on the table than this?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's got to be a helluva lot cheaper way to put meat on the table than this?
They were invited on the hunt, only out fuel to get to the location and the $10 license. My friend was not aware of the situation before hand. They are part of a non profit that takes youth from a non hunting home on a weekend deer hunt at very very minimal expense to them.

I have revealed more than I planned on. If you still want to view it negatively, I am sorry.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as the Elk hunt on the Wichita wildlife refuge, the ODW, not the feds put on that hunt. When I was there as a helper, one of the Federal guys was there on his off time to watch and he said he would love to come help on the hunt to retrieve animals on the job, but fed overtime regulations didn't allow it. No .gov shutdown involved. It was all ODW.
Thats been a few years back though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom