Grand lake questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heading up there for a family gathering 3 day deal.
I want to catch some fish and thinking of taking the Pontoon so the family can enjoy the water.

Lee's grand lake resort is where we will stay..So I am told.

Now that lake to me SUCKS!!! For acess to fishing and boat launch. seems all the property around the lake is private owned. boat ramps seem few.

I did see Wolf Creek Park has a ramp and assume the thing is public.
I Just want to know if you guys have fished it and if there is a closer ramp.. I seen on a map Blue Bluf Harbor had one but could not see it on google earth and no idea if it is steep or not.

Anyone up in that area that fishes that NE end. Can you run Jugs? Do you even need to?
Thanks guys.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jug fishing for blues,generally, is pretty good at Grand. I will suggest that you place your jugs in 20 fow along the river channel and if you find dead fish on the lower hook(s) then those are below the thermocline.

GLGAR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lee's ramp is a steep trolley down the bluff. Wolf creek is free and a great set up, several new wide ramps and loads of parking, that's where all the big tournaments launch. If you can keep your boat in a Lee's slip Wolf creek is only a couple of miles away. Lots of jugs in that area, but just for catching some fish, trolling around the #10 bridge will get lots of Sand bass. It's a mile or two east of Lee's

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys and I will visit that # 10 bridge as soon as I map out the place see where everything is at.
Looks like Duck creek , Governors island and around Monkey Island will have the possibility of evening sand bass surfacing.
At least the google thing came up with that. We will see.

I researched the sand bass and looks like I will target those while I am there also Thanks GLGAR.
I think the wife and others will enjoy that.
I may even anchor out and drop a crappie light and night fish.. see what comes up.

Wife said she wants me to get a depth finder so we know how deep the water is..I have one on my old bayliner fishing boat but the one on the Toon never worked since we got the boat.

No Idea which one to get. Won't be the old round humming bird though that had red flashes. although those worked fine.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Following this. I'm going to be wanting to rent a pontoon or something in 2 weeks when we go to stay for a Man Weekend for my son's ascension into the first stage of manhood. There'll be 8 of us.

We'll be staying near Afton and Cleora, near Red Arrow Marina, if anyone knows where that is. I'd appreciate nay tips from anyone who knows the area. ;) I'll be following this thread.

GLGAR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Duck creek and Govenors island are a long way down the lake from Lee's in a pontoon, plus the BIG boats play in that area making for a rough ride. The sand bass surface all over the Elk river arm so you don't need a three hour boat ride to find them. Until last week my home was on the water, 1/2 mile east of the 10 bridge , first house on the south side with a dock and boat ramp. 25 years experience fishing that area and I sure hated to leave it. Stop at the visitors center in Grove and pick up some maps that will show info on hazards and shallow areas to avoid. Good luck

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We always had good luck on sandbass in honey creek way above the bridge. There are some flats up there where the sandbass push the schools of shad on. Then the feeding frenzy starts.
When surfacing, a popR with a jig tied on behind about 12”.
it was deadly on surfacing sandies. Fast retrieve making a lot of splash to simulate a wounded shad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom