Grandaddy's Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP, by asking this question, I’m assuming you don’t reload, and for a guy with “prepper“ in his handle, that’s just embarrassing. :rollingla
Being sentimental, my vote is definitely keep the gun. For what it would cost you to rebarrel it, I bet you can buy a pretty decent stash of 25-06 ammo.

I’ll go a step further and offer to help you find decent priced ammo for the rifle.

Last edited:

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandfather’s shotgun is the last of my possessions I would let go. However, it’s also probably the least valuable of my firearms, just a beat up old pump gun bought from Sears back in the day. My grandfather fought personal demons all his life, and never held on to anything of value for long. The gun and the rack it hung on are all I have left of him.
Since you have other arms from him, I don’t find it sacrilege to part with one of them. As others have said, reloading is an option to deal with ammo availability. If you are in the Tulsa area I’d be happy to help out.

Okieprepper

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty...
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only place I’ve seen 25-06 recently was Walmart. The one at Santa Fe and danforth had a couple boxes. It actually sat there for a week.
You could rebarrel it and keep the ‘heart’ of the gun. Could always reinstall the original if you wanted to.
You can even put a 308 barrel on the long action receiver.
I never considered this because of the long action. You may have save an heirloom. Can you recommend a Smith to help me with this? Thank you for the advice!🫡

Last edited:

Okieprepper

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty...
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OP, by asking this question, I’m assuming you don’t reload, and for a guy with “prepper“ in his handle, that’s just embarrassing. :rollingla
Being sentimental, my vote is definitely keep the gun. For what it would cost you to rebarrel it, I bet you can buy a pretty decent stash of 25-06 ammo.

I’ll go a step further and offer to help you find decent priced ammo for the rifle.
Acutually, I did mention in the post that I reload. I don't have any desire to reload 2000+ rounds. Been there done that. I just want to reduce the amount of uncommon firearm calibers that I own and to stockpile pile common military calibers. When the SHTF happens, it's 9mm, 45acp, 556, and 308 that will be the bartering ammo.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I never considered this because of the long action. You may have save an aireloom. Can you recommend a Smith to help me with this? Thank you for the advice!🫡
Jim Brown at Wildcat Precision has three barrels of mine right now. He’s in north edmond. Not sure where you are or if that would be convenient for you..

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SGammo.com has it for between $1.30 and $2.25/round depending on bullet and manufacturer. You'll have to add shipping unless you get more than $200 worth.

Good luck deciding what to do.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a few hundred pieces of brass along with those dies!

No sense in stock piling thousands.
Get a few boxes of bullets that you might play with for paper punching and / or wacking some critters with.

I would think you'll be much happier pulling the trigger on GramPa's gun as it is originally, and the dies, brass, bullets investment would be relatively small!

The rebarrel labor charge might be more than the cost of some dies, brass, and bullets.

Nothing says you have load it to the gills either, surely you could find some reduced power fun loads to play with!

Good luck on the path ahead!

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
There is 25-06 ammunition out the yingyang...they have Privi Partizan for $1.16 and up and Hornady starting at $1.44 on the interwebs.
I'd keep it and I would definitely not chop it up to make it "betterer". That's hooey no matter what kind of expert you are = Bubba.

Anyway, it's free shipping from SG ammo at $1.25 a round...for once they aren't gouging. You'll have your Grandpa's gun and ammo with it that you can pass down. Or, you can bubba it and be proud of removing all value from it including that it's an heirloom, then probably sell it here on OSA for $300, maybe.