Grandson's first deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know how much pre-hunt work and planning went into making Maddox’s accomplishment possible. Congrats to Maddox on his first deer! Congrats to Huckleberry75 for the rifle work and instruction! Congrats to Deerslayer for being a super duper Grandpa and making it all possible!!!:thumbup3:

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for the accolades. Deer hunting and management is a passion of mine. As one of three founding members of the Okla Youth Hunting Program I know that we must give back to the sport. We must get our nails dirty to help the next generation get involved and become a better person. Oklahomabassin and I are on the board of directors of the organization. If I am not mistaken, he joined the group after reading about it on this forum. He has never looked back. He is a strong voice in this organization and greatly appreciated. Many people have given their time and energy to help the next generation of hunters. Meatgrinder, deer engineer, huckleberry 75, okie4570,sticky stokes, to name just a few, that have answered the call. The ODWC has seen what we do and how we do it. Some of the commissioners are going on our hunts and being a guide or volunteer. We are making a difference. We talk the talk and walk the walk.
Retrieverman has walked with me this past year and heard what it took to get, not only my hunt, but 3 other ranches ready for 16 youth hunters. A total of 19 hunters, which included Maddox and 2 other guest at my farm. 19 hunters harvested 19 deer. While Huckleberry 75 and Maddox entertained our guests, I taught a class on what a young hunter needs in his day pack at 2 ranches near Grant,Ok on Friday. Saturday night, at the bonfire I talked to the these 6 young hunters, their guardians and all of the volunteers about their responsibilities to others while growing up.The need for being honest with others, respecting others, having integrity, being responsible for your actions. Each one of the youth hunters were given a pocket booklet that contained the U S Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
I am one proud grandfather and father. I watched Saturday as Huckleberry 75 tutored his son on all aspects of the hunt and harvest. Maddox took the hunt very serious as he wanted to be certain that he did not just wound the deer, but quickly put the animal down. When we presented him with his new knife he knew this was something very special. Huckleberry carefully showed him how to process the doe with his new knife. I watched as my son passed the tradition on to his son. I then knew that I had done my job. Tears are rolling down my cheeks as I write this........ This is the depth of my passion.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for the accolades. Deer hunting and management is a passion of mine. As one of three founding members of the Okla Youth Hunting Program I know that we must give back to the sport. We must get our nails dirty to help the next generation get involved and become a better person. Oklahomabassin and I are on the board of directors of the organization. If I am not mistaken, he joined the group after reading about it on this forum. He has never looked back. He is a strong voice in this organization and greatly appreciated. Many people have given their time and energy to help the next generation of hunters. Meatgrinder, deer engineer, huckleberry 75, okie4570,sticky stokes, to name just a few, that have answered the call. The ODWC has seen what we do and how we do it. Some of the commissioners are going on our hunts and being a guide or volunteer. We are making a difference. We talk the talk and walk the walk.
Retrieverman has walked with me this past year and heard what it took to get, not only my hunt, but 3 other ranches ready for 16 youth hunters. A total of 19 hunters, which included Maddox and 2 other guest at my farm. 19 hunters harvested 19 deer. While Huckleberry 75 and Maddox entertained our guests, I taught a class on what a young hunter needs in his day pack at 2 ranches near Grant,Ok on Friday. Saturday night, at the bonfire I talked to the these 6 young hunters, their guardians and all of the volunteers about their responsibilities to others while growing up.The need for being honest with others, respecting others, having integrity, being responsible for your actions. Each one of the youth hunters were given a pocket booklet that contained the U S Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
I am one proud grandfather and father. I watched Saturday as Huckleberry 75 tutored his son on all aspects of the hunt and harvest. Maddox took the hunt very serious as he wanted to be certain that he did not just wound the deer, but quickly put the animal down. When we presented him with his new knife he knew this was something very special. Huckleberry carefully showed him how to process the doe with his new knife. I watched as my son passed the tradition on to his son. I then knew that I had done my job. Tears are rolling down my cheeks as I write this........ This is the depth of my passion.
Heck, you got me wet eyed...
When my son was going through his teenage years,we didn’t always see eye to eye. Hunting was the only thing we could do and put all the other stuff aside. He’s grown into a fine young man and I would say that our time in the field played an important role in that.
Congrats to ALL of you!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too am drying my eyes after reading your post. It's obvious you truly are passionate about the great outdoors and I'm so happy for you that it spilled over into the next generations. I'm so excited for Maddox. I'm so glad he has chosen to be in the woods with the two most important people in his life. Yes, mothers are vital to kids, but let's face it...a young boy learns how to be a man from his father and grandfather. And you and your son deserve a gold star for your involvement in this young boy's life. If not for you two, he would probably be like most other boys his age, sitting playing video games and watching stupid TV programs, that teach him the evils of our kind and our way of life.

You never did give us the details on young Maddox's rifle or load that he took his deer with. Please share. :naughty:

Again, kudos to you and your son for influencing young Maddox. I'm sure some day (sooner than you think) he will re-live that hunt when he takes his son on his first expedition. I hope and pray that you can be a part of that hunt as well. Well done, sir...WELL DONE!

:clap3::clap3::clap3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom