Great day outside so took the 6.5 creed for a 12 round walk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma. Gotta love it. Just too pretty so I worked at my office in Ada. At lunch, ran out to my shooting club and fired a few rounds (12) at 100 yards. Almost no wind and shot off the bag. Hope you can read the scribbling on the target. If not, low left (facing the target) first 4 rounds. Made an adjustment and the 2nd four round lower right (quarter side). Adjusted and got the 3rd 4 rounds just left of center.
Good enough.
Tried to take a picture of the reticle in my Sightron at 32x. Had hell trying to do it with my crap IPhone but got this one. A bit of parallax problems on the hash marks from the phone, but that's all I could get. 32x at my neighbors house approximately 230 yards (maybe more...I'll have to laser it). That his roof and a travel trailer pictured. Glass is much clearer than whats shown. Just wanted to give an idea of the set up and reticle.
Ruger 12 11 at 100 12 rds (3).jpg
Sightron 8-32x56 at 200 yds at 32x (2).jpg

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do. Finally got a response to the post. Thought I'd been Yeager'ed.
The more I get involved in precision shooting (my very limited ability) the more I like it. Trying to get as much as I can from the Ruger. Good glass and trigger have been a great start.
I refloated the barrel on the Boyd stock. Had floated it when I got it, but made sure by increasing the float to perfection.
Now it's time to work on my mechanics.
I know I post too much, but I get excited with any improvement, so bear with me on my continual updates on the same guns.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its interesting but me personally I cant get real excited about punching paper at 100yd after the development is done. I have a friend that can do it all day long but I just cant. I need further ranges or steel or I would just as soon shoot around with a pistol. Neither of which have I been able to do much of lately. I got to get back in the groove after Christmas.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its interesting but me personally I cant get real excited about punching paper at 100yd after the development is done. I have a friend that can do it all day long but I just cant. I need further ranges or steel or I would just as soon shoot around with a pistol. Neither of which have I been able to do much of lately. I got to get back in the groove after Christmas.
I have the ability to shoot long steel, and do, but till I get the groove, paper is the right thing to do.
When I use to help out with teaching kids golf, it was with the short irons first, not the big dog.
Paper, at 100, gives me that instant feedback to develop my ability. Like golf, no lying, lying

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Learning the scope and will have a final zero session. Then I plan on getting different boxes of Hornady ammo, starting with the black box 140 grain on down till I find the stuff that works the best (including match).
Then I'll work out my swing (so to speak).
Once that's done I'll work on 200 and 300 yds paper to get an idea of drop/rise.
Hope to get the max distance on the ammo figured out (distance that it will begin to tumble or go subsonic.)
It's all going to be fun

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Eventually you'll get into reloading, not to save money, but to find that sweet spot on your gun with the right load, that will print every time until it becomes boring, moving back to further distances to increase the interest level.
In my experience changing factory loaded ammo between range sessions leads to frustration because they don't always fly the same and it always brings up in the mind that the gun is starting to have issues.
Next time out, it's dead on. Next time out, with different ammo it's 3" groups. Your buddy on the bench next to you can take the ammo that produces 3" groups and make clover leaf groups with the same stuff.
It's almost as interesting to work up accurate loads IMHO as it is to actually shoot them.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Eventually you'll get into reloading, not to save money, but to find that sweet spot on your gun with the right load, that will print every time until it becomes boring, moving back to further distances to increase the interest level.
In my experience changing factory loaded ammo between range sessions leads to frustration because they don't always fly the same and it always brings up in the mind that the gun is starting to have issues.
Next time out, it's dead on. Next time out, with different ammo it's 3" groups. Your buddy on the bench next to you can take the ammo that produces 3" groups and make clover leaf groups with the same stuff.
It's almost as interesting to work up accurate loads IMHO as it is to actually shoot them.
You guys would know better than me, but now I'm going to figure out the factory load this gun likes. Going to make copious notes on what runs best. When I find that, I will work on my shooting form till it's on. Then it's time to start reloading for that sweet spot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom