Grendel questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I mentioned in another thread that I got an upper from PSA that has an unfinished chamber. I’m going to have to pull it off anyway so I figured this might be a good time to give the Grendel a shot.
I ordered a Grendel type 2 barrel from classic firearms. I research why there is a type 2 and I think I found the answer but want to check with you guys. Believe it or not, I trust you guys more than the other internet ‘experts’.
The type 1 is the original chambering and can use the 762x39 bolt and the current type 2 uses only a 6.5 bolt for proper headspacing?
Am I close or just really confused?
Thanks

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another question. I can change out just the bolt on the BCG to Grendel, but I’m finding that just the bolt in most places is the same price or more than a complete BCG from Bear Creek. Is there a local source for the bolt by itself that won’t break the bank?
Next, what mag manufacture has the best rep for use in the Grendel?

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even though it seems odd, the original (SAAMI approved) Grendel is the Type 2. Type 1 was made so they could use a 7.62 x 39 bolt; it has a .125 bolt face, where the Type 2 has .136 bolt face. Type 1 and Type 2 barrels & bolts are not interchangeable, so make sure you get the right thing. Most manufacturers nowadays use the Type 2, which is what is preferred.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even though it seems odd, the original (SAAMI approved) Grendel is the Type 2. Type 1 was made so they could use a 7.62 x 39 bolt; it has a .125 bolt face, where the Type 2 has .136 bolt face. Type 1 and Type 2 barrels & bolts are not interchangeable, so make sure you get the right thing. Most manufacturers nowadays use the Type 2, which is what is preferred.

This is correct from everything I've read.

As far as the bolt, I've just purchased the entire thing on both of my builds for the reason you stated (cost is about the same for just the head).

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Kirk. I'm a 6.5 fan and don't know why I waited. I've got plenty of bullets around. Already load for 6.5x55 and Creedmoor.