Grow lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any advice?
Wanting to start my outdoor garden early, indoors.
Thinking about getting a grow light to start my seedlings on the kitchen table
Small area about 4 cookie sheets
F25D79CC-7DFC-4AE8-BB68-ACDB95185997.jpeg

Last edited:

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like those bulbs would be the cheapest solution. I was kinda looking forward to any responses you got from this thread too. I'm needing a light for some Meyer Lemon and Coleus seedlings.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I did a small amount of research yesterday.
We started tooo late last year(spring and fall) and I'm wanting to get things started earlier this year

This early trial will just start me down the path of learning.
I have the planted seeds in the east window so they get morning sun but would like them to get a few more hours of sunlight each day.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talking about grow lights on the internet ?
Keep an eye peeled for a truck parked near your house marked Delivery Express Agency. LOL.
Are the bulbs for this purpose nowadays different wavelength LED maybe?
Only time I've seen it done was a little old lady years ago that (as mentioned above) put a regular lamp above the seedlings for light.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just a beginner at this but , from what I've learned you want a heat mat 1st, grow roots 1st, top growth 2nd lights for that.. We've got 2 volunteer tomato plants in an unheated hoophouse and while some leaves have suffered freeze damage there is flowers on the larger of the 2.. I / we'll start our seeding come mid Feb and most likely in the unheated greenhouse.. I'm working on fruit cuttings now that only get window light in spare bdrm.. With this I want roots and little to no top growth so that it is strong and ready to survive the transplant..

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep like Timmy said. Grow lights aren't real important for starting seeds. Proper soil warmth is. Heating mat is handy for this, but not necessarily required. I have always used the little seed starter trays that have the clear plastic lid that fits snugly. A couple painters lights with standard incandescent bulbs will usually create plenty of heat inside the "mini greenhouse" without cooking the area of high intensity. I kept the lights about 12"-16" away. Valentines Day is a good time to start tomato and pepper seeds indoors.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure their selection but I noticed that Home Depot now has a grow light section. Almost like OK passed laws where growing inside is important. I dunno. At 71st/169 it's in the far back SE corner of the store IIRC.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep an eye peeled for a truck parked near your house marked Delivery Express Agency. LOL.
It used to be a real concern, but I'm guessing so many states legalizing MJ nowadays have put an end to that. :D

Google "grow forum" and you should be able to get a multitude of specifics on growing plants indoors, if that's what ya want.

However.... for garden seedlings, an open curtain window nearby should suffice if you keep 'em warm & moist. Doesn't even have to be direct sunlight. They don't get sunlight until they break throught the soil anyway.
:drunk2:

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are the bulbs for this purpose nowadays different wavelength LED maybe?
Only time I've seen it done was a little old lady years ago that (as mentioned above) put a regular lamp above the seedlings for light.
I have no desire to Do drugs or smoke weed unlike Some people here.
Every vehicle is suspicious to me anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom