Growing Number of College Grads Regret Liberal Arts Degree

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More and more liberal art graduates a figuring out they didn't learn enough in college to make a living or for some to even get a job because they have no marketable skills that an employer wants to pay for. And on top of that, they have a boat load of debt. What's funny is the liberal web sites continue to defend the benefits of reading poetry.

Even this article blames school funding (like most liberals) and not the fact that these degrees provide little value when trying to find a job. The easy solution would be to require stem coursework instead of that extra LGBT or poetry class.

The results of a recent survey by McKinsey and Chegg – an ed-tech company also running a textbook rental business – which shows that nearly half of those polled wished that they had made different choices upon graduating high school – is likely to add to an increasingly loud debate about whether higher education is ultimately a worthwhile investment.

Among its other troubling findings, the report says that nearly half of college graduates are currently working jobs that don’t require a college degree. Roughly 30% felt that college didn’t adequately prepare them for the job market.

The most alarming conclusion appears to be that a full 41% of graduates from America’s top 100 ranked colleges and universities couldn’t get employment in their field after they graduated. When looking at all colleges and universities around the country, the percentage goes up to nearly half.

Students don’t ask the questions they need to, like how often students graduate in four years, what percentage of students are employed within six months of graduating, and what percentage of students get jobs in their major. They need to be encouraged to do so, and schools need to have those answers.

And schools are evaluated by things like selectivity, not how they help students prepare for the workplace or support their job search.

Students in liberal arts were particularly prone to regrets. They were more likely than their STEM-graduate peers to be under- or unemployed and were deeper in debt, were paid less and were overall less happy with the higher education choices they made.

The findings illuminate the fact that schools are not doing a very good job of filling their students’ needs. Instead of expanding programs that lead to higher paid jobs and more steady employment, it appears that many schools are cutting back due to budget cuts.

As a result, students are not only feeling more regrets about where they enrolled and the major they chose, but are also graduating with higher debt loads and fewer options.

Things are moving in a troubling direction. Instead of expanding curriculums to include the skills students really need now, many institutions, particularly public ones, are cutting back. That means students have to spend longer to graduate and go deeper in debt, without getting an education that’s any better suited to the world we live in. The key to solving it, Rosensweig says, is using technology to break down some of the barriers and habits that have held higher education back and kept it from adapting, to focus more on specific skills, and creating more entrepreneurial students.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"The key to solving it, Rosensweig says, is using technology to break down some of the barriers and habits that have held higher education back and kept it from adapting, to focus more on specific skills, and creating more entrepreneurial students.".

No, the key to solving it is to educate young people in the notion that being a plumber, carpenter, iron worker, electrician, large appliance repairman, etc. IS just as important and as viable a job field as being in fields like IT, administrator, etc.
Too many kids today look down on any employment where they would wear coveralls rather than a button-down shirt and tie. It's great to have uber education, but not if you can't find meaningful work.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Colleges could learn from the "school of common sense" that they could save a lot of money on salaries for "instructors" by eliminating nonsense courses like black studies, LGBT studies, white privilege studies, and any other that doesn't really contribute to a money earning vocation/degree. In other words, more of the 3 R's type classes and less of the feel good classes.

Additionally, with less money spent for salaries of nonsense instructors, the students might even see a slightly cheaper tuition cost...

...nah...they'd never allow that.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
More and more liberal art graduates a figuring out they didn't learn enough in college to make a living or for some to even get a job because they have no marketable skills that an employer wants to pay for. And on top of that, they have a boat load of debt. What's funny is the liberal web sites continue to defend the benefits of reading poetry.
I think you are incorrect and bias about liberal arts majors. It is not so much that they did not "learn enough," it is more of they did not learn a marketable skill.
If you want people to read the article, try giving them a reason to read the article instead of a reason not to read the article.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you are incorrect and bias about liberal arts majors. It is not so much that they did not "learn enough," it is more of they did not learn a marketable skill.
If you want people to read the article, try giving them a reason to read the article instead of a reason not to read the article.

People see what they want to see. I said exactly what you said and it's in my comment that you quoted.

I have no bias liberal art majors. Most are a burden on society because they can't get a job due to the lack of "learning enough" marketable skills(like my comment you quoted, but you bolded the wrong section of the comment). It's not me that's bias, its most employers and they are bias for cause. That cause is, there is someone that have the skills needed to do a job, so they get hired. And liberal art majors continue to leach from the those who work.

It's only the liberals that aren't reading the article. You didn't even make it to the point that I made about not having the skills and then you make the same point.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ultimate problem is the government being involved through guaranteed student loans. If the free market loaned money it would not do so on sketchy degrees and worthless programs. If the student was having to self fund more of their education the schools would offer more value at lower cost to fight for the hard earned money. Now they have no incentive to care

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
People see what they want to see. I said exactly what you said and it's in my comment that you quoted.

I have no bias liberal art majors. Most are a burden on society because they can't get a job due to the lack of "learning enough" marketable skills(like my comment you quoted, but you bolded the wrong section of the comment). It's not me that's bias, its most employers and they are bias for cause. That cause is, there is someone that have the skills needed to do a job, so they get hired. And liberal art majors continue to leach from the those who work.

It's only the liberals that aren't reading the article. You didn't even make it to the point that I made about not having the skills and then you make the same point.
I have a liberal arts degree and I have a job, my wife has a liberal arts degree and she has a job. The both of us turn down jobs every year. Therefore, you are incorrect, bias, and a little ignorant.
Also, just because someone has a liberal arts degree does not mean they are a liberal, to make that stamen would be idiotic.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
The ultimate problem is the government being involved through guaranteed student loans. If the free market loaned money it would not do so on sketchy degrees and worthless programs. If the student was having to self fund more of their education the schools would offer more value at lower cost to fight for the hard earned money. Now they have no incentive to care
do you believe university students have ever self funded their education?

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
do you believe university students have ever self funded their education?

Yep, I worked full time while getting my undergraduate degrees. I paid cash for my education. Then the company I work for paid for my masters.

The funny thing is, I built custom upholstered furniture for interior decorators, something I think a liberal arts major would love to do, but it only paid so much. I learned that early and didn't get a LA degree to do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom