Growing Number of College Grads Regret Liberal Arts Degree

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a liberal arts degree and I have a job, my wife has a liberal arts degree and she has a job. The both of us turn down jobs every year. Therefore, you are incorrect, bias, and a little ignorant.
Also, just because someone has a liberal arts degree does not mean they are a liberal, to make that stamen would be idiotic.
Did you recently graduate, like the topic of this discussion?

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you recently graduate, like the topic of this discussion?
Does that change the validity of my musing? Free market ideas are the only thing that can save students from worth less things like women's study and urban justice degrees. My youngest daughter is graduating this Spring with an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering. The school she attended is a private organization with tuition in the over 40K per year range. She will at present rate graduate having accrued about 10K in student debt. This from her receiving through her hard work scholarship and work study to cover 80% of her education costs. This is possible by having motivated children who are not allowed to consider things such as liberal arts degrees

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to do one thing to help your children and grandchildren succeed, make sure they become skilled at mathematics. If you cannot tutor them, hire someone who can. The public school system will not teach all they need to know. Chances are in any given school year, their teacher will be lacking in math skills and the students will be dragging down the smarter kids as well.

Help them master math and they will naturally gravitate towards rewarding fields of study.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, that was directed to poke me and not you, since the article is talking about liberal arts and recent college grads. The reason I asked is because I suspect he isn't a recent grad as he stated he has job offers every year, whatever that means. The longer you are out of college, whether it's a liberal arts degree or not, the more likely you will find some kind of work based on life experiences and not college degrees.

Your daughter sounds like she understands what it takes to succeed and has put in the effort to succeed.

Does that change the validity of my musing? Free market ideas are the only thing that can save students from worth less things like women's study and urban justice degrees. My youngest daughter is graduating this Spring with an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering. The school she attended is a private organization with tuition in the over 40K per year range. She will at present rate graduate having accrued about 10K in student debt. This from her receiving through her hard work scholarship and work study to cover 80% of her education costs. This is possible by having motivated children who are not allowed to consider things such as liberal arts degrees

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to do one thing to help your children and grandchildren succeed, make sure they become skilled at mathematics. If you cannot tutor them, hire someone who can. The public school system will not teach all they need to know. Chances are in any given school year, their teacher will be lacking in math skills and the students will be dragging down the smarter kids as well.

Help them master math and they will naturally gravitate towards rewarding fields of study.

I totally agree!

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, the key to solving it is to educate young people in the notion that being a plumber, carpenter, iron worker, electrician, large appliance repairman, etc. IS just as important and as viable a job field as being in fields like IT, administrator, etc.
Too many kids today look down on any employment where they would wear coveralls rather than a button-down shirt and tie. It's great to have uber education, but not if you can't find meaningful work.

That's all good as long as you are able to keep your body in shape for a physically-demanding chosen field. Even staying in shape and a good diet doesn't guarantee that knees and hips will support those endeavors for a full career to retirement. Having other ways to implement Plan B is simply smart, no matter where your education or interests take you first.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's all good as long as you are able to keep your body in shape for a physically-demanding chosen field. Even staying in shape and a good diet doesn't guarantee that knees and hips will support those endeavors for a full career to retirement. Having other ways to implement Plan B is simply smart, no matter where your education or interests take you first.
That's why tradesman need to have at least a basic financial understanding and use it to make good financial decisions. They make a lot of money, but from what I've seen with my friends, they don't to know squat about budgets and financial planning for their retirement.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Problem with the liberal arts (and many other college grads) are that upon graduation THE job will magically appear (not). My middle child (senior hs) wanted a job. She turned in a number of apps, but no return calls. Many stores are file online, so I believe no experience will be looked over vs any experience. After she received nothing for a month, we sent her into the stores to talk to management at the local level (mall lol). She was hired on the spot. Over the 2 months she has been there, she has been recognized as a top seller and high customer service. She heads to OU next month and will continue to work for them. She figured out that if you want something, you have to go get it.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I worked full time while getting my undergraduate degrees. I paid cash for my education. Then the company I work for paid for my masters.

The funny thing is, I built custom upholstered furniture for interior decorators, something I think a liberal arts major would love to do, but it only paid so much. I learned that early and didn't get a LA degree to do it.
did you go to a private or state school?
Class of 2010

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom