Growing Number of College Grads Regret Liberal Arts Degree

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To address this issue appropriately, one has to consider the relative rate of people "regretting" earning *any* kind of certificate/degree, and then make reasonable comparisons. For example, what is the rate of people earning welding certificates that regret it and end up doing something else? How about a program in aircraft mechanics? How about pre-med or pre-law or biology or the business major? I'll save you some time...it's roughly equal across *any* kind of certificate/degree/training-program. Guess what's also roughly equal across domains?...the vast majority of people report that the time/money was worth it and that they are better off because of it.

The second issue is a bias in reporting of regret. That is, liberal arts majors are more likely to talk about their regret openly and publicly because they've been trained that (a) it's healthy to express yourself in that way, and (b) they have been trained to write effectively, so they do exactly that about their schooling regrets. People with other types of general/vocational/professional training don't talk as openly about such things. A law or medical or business student that washed out is much less likely to talk about it because of stigma; whereas a history major is much more likely to not care about the stigma, and talk about it--very generally speaking.

The reason people still *freely choose* to earn liberal arts degrees is because they are still of great value...not only implicitly/internally as mentioned in previous posts, but also in practical job positions. Most of my students are liberal arts majors (i.e., the students that have worked in my lab as research and teaching assistants, and then I've then recommended them for positions), and the ones that want jobs have them...good jobs too. I have lab alumni working good jobs at Facebook, Google, Indeed, Apple, government jobs, university jobs, as counselors, in research/statistics/data science positions, and other well-paying private sectors. Those that wanted to continue their education in grad school have been accepted into graduate programs all over the spectrum. You will find very similar successes (i.e., getting a good job, etc.) all across the liberal arts.

In short, this could turn into a very lengthy post, but most of the points that matter have already been stated in previous posts...and the trying to generalize to all of liberal arts from outliers that regret doing something in liberal arts is illogical and quite silly. In your daily business errands and communications, many of you are talking to successful liberal arts majors that don't fit the catchy and confirming narrative...so, talk to them about it...you'll learn much more than reading about outliers online.

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my nieces's boys has a Dr. degree in english and works at a fast food place! About all he's qualified for I guess.
The Science graduate asks, "Why does it work?"

The Engineering graduate asks, "How does it work?"

The Liberal Arts graduate asks, "You want fries with
that?"

It's just a joke, people... :D

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Science graduate asks, "Why does it work?"

The Engineering graduate asks, "How does it work?"

The Liberal Arts graduate asks, "You want fries with
that?"

It's just a joke, people... :D

based on my experience with scientists and engineers, the next thing the liberal arts major says is "and you do realize you left your house without putting on pants, right?"

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To address this issue appropriately, one has to consider the relative rate of people "regretting" earning *any* kind of certificate/degree, and then make reasonable comparisons. For example, what is the rate of people earning welding certificates that regret it and end up doing something else? How about a program in aircraft mechanics? How about pre-med or pre-law or biology or the business major? I'll save you some time...it's roughly equal across *any* kind of certificate/degree/training-program.
I don't think anybody regrets getting a vo tech welding certificate even if they don't use it for a primary source of income.
It comes in handy to an employer that you are willing to learn outside of the box and your more well rounded in the education of the blue collar worker even if one does have a college degree. Plus, you get to use that skill to build cool stuff a home.
I had a whole lot more respect for the engineers I worked with that came off the farm where they worked with their hands before they worked with a computer.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow...the higher learning personified. The cardinal tenets of a classic liberal arts education are these:
1) Learn to write well. This usually involves proofreading.
2) Learn to do research well. This means you present facts rather than baseless generalizations.
3) Learn to speak well.
4) Learn to present your ideas clearly and concisely.
5) Learn to think critically.
6) Learn how to develop an idea, flesh it out, and present it orally or in a written form in a clear, concise manner.

A liberal arts education has always been considered fine preparation for law school, and for a career in politics. Yeah...those leeches.

1) About what?
2) About what?
3) About what?
4) About what?
5) About what?
6) About what?

Along with all those skills, one must also learn a field to apply those skills to. An automobile mechanic should know those skills even as an apprentice. Same as for those leeches in politics and law.

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom