GSA Fleet Sales

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I went down to the big lot on Portland ave yesterday thinking of buying a pickup. They had a 6 cly 2013 Chevy C1500 with 26,000 miles and thought I'd bid on that one. But I'd been driving smaller pickups like Toyota and Nissan for years and man, that Chevy was a big vehicle and the wife felt she couldn't drive i in city traffic. Plus, there is no warranty implied or issued and you aren't supposed to do anything but start the vehicle up and not move it at all.
However, I think I saw a couple of guys driving one of the cars on sale in the lot....have any of you guys bought anything from GSA car-wise? It'd be interesting to see how things went.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know a few people that have bought cars through them and drove them into the ground after a few years. I'll admit if you can't drive why buy? They had a couple of repairable 2019 Ford pickups with the bed damaged and one looked like it had a minor frontend hit and they determined it as salvage.
when I was in the military (here I go again) a guy told me about the GSA sales with such low mileage and I asked why and he told me that they allocate a certain amount of money on repairs and maintenance and when they get to that dollar point even if it is spark plug wire it's off to the auction. They weren't going over the amount allocated-period. Maybe that is the way things used to be but some of these cars had 50-60-80 and even over 100,000 miles on them although as I said, some were low mileage.

Last edited:

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After seeing how they treat GSA vehicles where I work....no chance I would buy one.

25 years ago I worked with a lady who ended up buying the Jeep Cherokee GSA vehicle assigned to her. She said that's the only reason she bought it was because she was the only driver.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned a lot of vehicles.. many used for parts and none of them cost me more than $6,000.
I have purchased from auctions many times.. so much in fact that Arrow Wrecker called me and asked if I would be at their next auction as they had another older Datsun Z car 280ZX.
That is when you know you frequent the auctions too much.

If the vehicle is cheap enough then buy it but cheap enough for me means the engine and trans are shot and if I had to build and engine and trans and stick in it I would still be in good shape.
I have built a lot of basket cased vehicles and my most invested one was only $4,500 a few cost me $4,000 to finish and this includes purchase price tag etc. And there are the cheap ones that were under $300 for all of it reliably going down the road.

If you are buying it just under book value you are doing it wrong.
Talking about cars you do not get to drive.

My son had a 2013 Chevy 4x4 with 5.3 and automatic.
Terrible MPG He was glad to get rid of it.
I think he paid 30,000 for it.
He did not learn that from me. Fool.
Yea it was nice and comfy but for the performance and MPG I would not want it.

So bad in fact if I had to buy it and keep it Not resale it I would be angry if I had to give 5 thousand for it.

I can build a better vehicle for less.
I had a 2004 Chevy 2 door truck with 5.3 and automatic given to me and could not get it out of my yard fast enough.
Just needed a water pump.

Yes I know you are looking at the V6.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I went down to the big lot on Portland ave yesterday thinking of buying a pickup. They had a 6 cly 2013 Chevy C1500 with 26,000 miles and thought I'd bid on that one. But I'd been driving smaller pickups like Toyota and Nissan for years and man, that Chevy was a big vehicle and the wife felt she couldn't drive i in city traffic. Plus, there is no warranty implied or issued and you aren't supposed to do anything but start the vehicle up and not move it at all.
However, I think I saw a couple of guys driving one of the cars on sale in the lot....have any of you guys bought anything from GSA car-wise? It'd be interesting to see how things went.
depending on what agency it came from that could be 26000 very hard miles or very easy miles. an agency I used to work for would send them to auction at 5 years old no matter the condition. they once bought me a chevy cobalt , I'm 6'5" over 250lbs no way was I going to put my big ass and all my tools in that thing, when they sold it it had less than 10,000 miles on it...........some tiny person got a good deal I guess

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
25 years ago I worked with a lady who ended up buying the Jeep Cherokee GSA vehicle assigned to her. She said that's the only reason she bought it was because she was the only driver.
Most are low miles with tons of hours, I have seen a truck started and just sat idling for 8 hours then turned off....never moved. Others with 15-20K miles and never an oil change, cheapest gas they can buy, and not 1 time being cleaned. I'm glad that lady got a good one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom