Guess I need to up my preps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a small still for distilling water for consumption. It could also come in handy for other uses.
Have you actually tried it? We have tried two of them, one electric, one stove-top or any heat source, and neither of them is worth a pile of rotten beans. Still looking for a good option.

Bill

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My med kit has nearly everything mentioned, but I also have a small sewing needle, floss tape for stitches, a razor blade/exacto blade, a few single use super glue bottles, and precision tweezers. It's not the mountain that will stop you, it's the grains of sand in your boot or a small splinter in your foot.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Waaaay plenty interested in that still.

Could you provide any particulars or a link?
Thanks!
I purchased mine from Amazon. There are lots to choose from. I haven’t fired mine up yet but it isn’t rocket science. Bring it to a boil capture the steam. It returns to liquid as it cools on down the coils. Clean water leaving all the ‘junk’ in the pot. Not large volumes but adequate

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you actually tried it? We have tried two of them, one electric, one stove-top or any heat source, and neither of them is worth a pile of rotten beans. Still looking for a good option.

Bill
A pressure cooker makes a great distiller. You just need a condenser to convert the steam to water. Remove the threaded pressure plug to attach the condenser or leave it as a safety, and add a bulkhead pipe fitting connector to the lid by drilling. Coil up some copper tubing coming from the lid in a cold water bath to create the condenser, dripping into a container.
The old moonshiners used streams for a constant source of cool water in their condensers. Doesn't have to be cold, just cooler than the steam to condense it.
I've seen some of the old 10 gallon pressure cookers at yard sales and flea markets pretty cheap.
Doesn't even have to be a pressure cooker as pressure isn't necessary but those pressure cookers are a great vessel with the pipe fitting in place(pressure safety plug or remove the pressure meter in old units) for those without the tools to drill and tap holes.
I've seen boilers made from old milk cans or whatever that can be used with a lid that can be sealed so the steam stays in the condenser line, not escaping from the lid.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I certainly understand that shortages are real as we all see them. But I'm still a bit baffled on why. Folks blame covid but I just don't see the virus being the issue. Covid in general is a bigger issue than the virus itself. I think too many folks are being allowed to skate along on easy street due to handouts are are not working. But these d-heads will be the first folks in the cheese lines and be at your house demanding some of your preparedness.
I, like you, need to step it up. I've nest received my various cast iron campfire cookware and will be remodeling my fire pit this week.
You can't introduce communism without a boogyman and starvation.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yikes. :shocked:

Just curious, what all do you guys keep in a medical kit?
:drunk2:
___
The usual bandaids, neosporin, betadyne, rubbing alcohol. I also have a few space blankets, vet wrap, sterile skin stapler, suture kit, torniquet x2 (you never know when you’ll need more than one or even worse, your first one breaks), forceps/surgeon type tools/scissors, scalpel, moleskin, Israeli bandages, gauze rolls, medical tape, and a water filter or two.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The usual bandaids, neosporin, betadyne, rubbing alcohol. I also have a few space blankets, vet wrap, sterile skin stapler, suture kit, torniquet x2 (you never know when you’ll need more than one or even worse, your first one breaks), forceps/surgeon type tools/scissors, scalpel, moleskin, Israeli bandages, gauze rolls, medical tape, and a water filter or two.
Impressive.
I keep a few items in the back pack, but nothing like that.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Impressive.
I keep a few items in the back pack, but nothing like that.
Oh and I also keep quick clot, nasopharyngeal tubes, and gloves in there. It all fits in a 5.11 Rush Moab 10. RUSH MOAB™ 10 Sling Pack 18L

I set it up right after I started working for the city as an animal welfare officer. After a few close calls with angry animals and humans, I decided it was time for something more useful for major trauma than the osha approved half empty metal box of bandaids that we were issued. It’s come in handy over the years, doctoring myself up at that job, having to doctor buddies up after accidents in the oil business, all sorts of stuff. It just rides in the back seat of my truck everywhere I go. I can take some stuff out and throw it in my hunting pack or with my hiking gear, etc. I essentially have everything on me for minor cuts and scrapes, blisters from hiking, all the way up to major cuts, abdominal wounds, and gunshot wounds. I can even do a little doctoring on the dogs if we’re out and about and they get into something. It’s definitely worth the peace of mind.

I feel the only thing I’m missing is a needle decompression kit and an IV/saline setup. But, while I know how, I don’t know if I would be willing to self administer needle decompression or thoracentesis on myself. I also don’t want a sloshy bag of fluid in my bag. Just asking for trouble.

Latest posts

Top Bottom