Guess I need to up my preps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I' ve got a kit with the standard stuff, bandages, alcohol, aspirn, etc. Plus I have extra antibiotic, iodine, salt tablets, hydrogen peroxide, and a space for my daily drugs have to take.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i'm up to about 18-24 months of food, water is my biggest issue. i've got the rain barrel filled up a bit more from the nice rains a few days ago, but i don't have a reliable large filter for drinking. other than that, it's just stocks of the 4 gallon jugs from sam's that go for $5 a pop. i have a great data set for our usage concerning drinking/cooking, but man it's the flushing/washing grey water that obviously uses by far the most water.

but hey, if we go "dark winter" i'm more than fine with being a Doug Funny and wearing the same clothes every day. it ain't like i'm going out much these days lol.

i did notice sam's was limiting certain items again (tho they limit a lot of things often), TP and paper towels namely. Those are the sort of things i am definitely behind on, and their price only continues to rise. if i'm trying to save water by not washing clothes as much, my paper towel usage is going to go up. i've been trying to substitute those polymer blending paper towels that you just washing and wring out, but again you do have to rinse them pretty good. nothing like a thick kitchen dish rag tho, so that would be a good option.

i definitely need more fuel and long term fuel storage. i'm up to 3 generators at this point, waaay more power than to run everything on in the house, but also large tools and 240v equipment, so my fuel demands for that potential load have expanded more than i have kept supply for.

the brown sugar packed persimmons are so far so good!
I got a small still for distilling water for consumption. It could also come in handy for other uses.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought this trauma kit from Brownells, quick clot, tourniquet, lots of dressings, EMT shears, some serious wound care stuff. I added things like my Army field surgery tools, extra scalpel blades, suture stuff, I also have a US Special Forces medical book that really explains hydrostatic shock and tissue damage from GSW and shrapnel wounds. I recently used up a bunch of first aid kit contents from the 3 regular Walmart bought kits when my foot got hurt bad. So I combined alot of things into the new kit.
I have some pretty good trauma experience over the years, worked head injuries, eye injuries, internal bleeding, cardiac and stroke, mountain sickness, pneumothorax, electrical shock, crush and compartment injuries and severe bone breaks and things like dislocated shoulders, dental emergencies.
Little first responder hack to share, if a small child has a severe cut and bleeding, use a diaper or feminine napkin to dress it with. The ER can weigh it and determine the amount of blood loss. Tampons and feminine napkin products make excellent dressing for severe cut or penetration injury from GSW or stabbing.
I worked as an ER tech and EMT, did employee safety, first person on scene at some gnarly car wrecks and a truck vs train. But dealing with rowdy grandkids, elderly relatives and drunk/stupid friends got me alot of practice fixing boo-boos

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread got me thinking and I got out the new kit and added some Benadryl, ibuprofen, Tylenol and aspirin, eye wash, broken tooth Bondo and a few other things, put my copy of Special Forces medical book in a Ziploc and added it to the kit.
I keep it under the back seat of my pickup, with a tarp, ax, and cordage.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to get my first aid supplies better organized and see what I need to add. I have a lot of stuff but maybe to much of some and not enough of others.

Oh and for a cheap prep, Aldi has some small canned hams for around $3. I grabbed another one today to add to my supplies and it had a 5 year best by date. They are not great but add verity and can be added to beans, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom