Guess the weight of Rocks in my cars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually did that to a point but the calculator numbers to input are in my head.
336 is a given to make the math work.
336 X gear ratio X MPH divided by tire diameter = RPM

So I was running at the track often and the math there put the torque converter slip at worst summer heat at 10%
So You must add 10% to the final number to get RPM If the RPM in the equation was 7000 then add another 700 for converter slippage.
Other than that the math was straight forward.
336 X 370 X 176 divided by 31" = 7058 Now tire growth at speed is a factor also.
I was running 31 tall Hoosiers on 8" rims at 150+ expect 5% to 10% growth.
Say 5% so add 1.5" to tire diameter. 6732 RPM then the 10% slippage = 7405 RPM I ran it to 7600 RPM and quit looking at the tachometer in high gear 1:1 ratio.
And looked up in the rear view mirror and seen my buddies headlights dip down from him letting off the throttle so I backed off also.
It pulled to 7600 in first gear and I went to shift and shifter was in a bind and did not go into second but I was not letting off as I was in front.
I kept pressure on the shifter and seen 7800 rpm and quit looking, it shifted and second gear did the same thing.
I quit looking at the tachometer at 7800 again and it finally shifted..I was thinking that tweaked Yamaha V-Max will pass me any second.
He topped out at 147 and I was 3 school bus lengths ahead and he said I was pulling away like he was sitting still.

That short block is in my 57 chevy and just the other day I let a friend drive it and he can't shift and it went to 7800 RPM.
It has seen 8500 2 times..Knock on hard wood that 350 is holding together.

:bowdown:

Sheesh! I have to unzip just to count to eleven!:bolt:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He prob has the first geo metro on Dana 80s and whatever transaxle would match that would be (which he prob fabbed himself) . I think most interesting man in the world need a recount.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He prob has the first geo metro on Dana 80s and whatever transaxle would match that would be (which he prob fabbed himself) . I think most interesting man in the world need a recount.

Maybe we could give him the title "Most Interesting Redneck Mechanic in the World"?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the drive home i was thinking of what springs would fit in the rear of that corolla.
I also thought maybe I could jack it up and wedge a 4x4 post in there somewhere to make it a solid read axle and have good tire clearance.
The clicking of the right rear wheel bearing got my mind off the 4x4 post though.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those rocks look heavy but neither car got to the 1 ton range.
I was really hoping I had that much in the corolla though.

I will say the Geo Metro handled it better than the corolla.
No tire bottoming out and no exhaust dragging.

Could be the 3" lift I put on it though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom