Guitar Lessons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions on a good guitar teacher. Yeah, I know I could probably learn it on my own/the internet, but I don't want to start any bad habits. Thanks in advance for any input!

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you’re just getting started, there’s a guy on YouTube that has some good material for beginners. Look up Guitar Jamz.
Also there’s nothing wrong with Hal Leonard’s instructional books. Especially if you want to learn notation and not just tablature.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old teacher in Blanchard retired years ago. Online lessons are great, but if you can find a truly gifted teacher, there's nothing better. There was a guy who used to teach in Oklahoma City who was absolutely a savant on the guitar. His name was Danny Hargis if memory serves. My jaw dislocated from dropping so far when I last saw him play. He was a really nice guy to talk with. I could tell during our brief conversations years ago that he really knew his stuff. It was more than his playing, but he would explain the theory behind it, which is really where the benefits of a good instructor come through. You might see if he is still teaching.

If your starting from the very beginning, and decide to go the online route, Marty Schwartz has some really good, easy to follow lessons on YouTube. You can find him here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmnlTWVJysjWPFiZhQ5uudg

He's got lessons from absolute beginner to more advanced stuff. To this day, his advance blues lessons available from his website are the only instruction I've ever purchased, outside of my former teacher. His free content is excellent though.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are some good resources out there. Fender Play isn't bad and you can get it for a month free. I've been playing a long time and still go to my 30 min lesson each Saturday morning. What those online things never can fully get across is technique. Just like competition shooting, efficiency of movement is just as critical with guitar. It's much easier to learn in both situations from a professional. I'm on the wrong side of the state to know anyone in your area. Good luck.

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, I learned more jamming with friends than I did taking lessons. However, I was a kid (6th grade) when I took the lessons. But there was no internet back then, either.

Learning a few chords (and when to change chords by ear) are the basics IMO. It becomes a lot of fun after that.

YMMV. :drunk2:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW, I learned more jamming with friends than I did taking lessons. However, I was a kid (6th grade) when I took the lessons. But there was no internet back then, either.

Learning a few chords (and when to change chords by ear) are the basics IMO. It becomes a lot of fun after that.

YMMV. :drunk2:
I bought a nice American Strat and gave it a shot twenty something years ago. I learned a few chords and I had no problem knowing when to change them but there would be a long pause between chord changes.

I am so right handed it's ridiculous so my left hand did not want to maneuver on the fret board very well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom