Gun Free Zone Liability

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm curious how many of you that want the business owner held liable for your safety have ever actually owned and operated a business that was open to the public.

A bit off topic, but I had disagreements on another forum with folks who think they can trespass on your property, and if they find something of value that seems to be abandoned, it's theirs for the taking (the discussion started when someone found old tube-type radios and other equipment in a vine-covered building).

Oddly enough, none were property owners... ;)

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can understand the part about TactiCool Timmy's going around and compensating for their .22 derringer in their pants. And I have never said I want the business to NOT have the right to choose, rather I want them liable if that choice causes me to be injured due to an assault while on their property. All in all I won't say your argument is wrong, it isn't. I just feel there is an argument to be made that by putting up those signs the business creates an environment that is less safe. Ultimately, that would have to be decided by a court of law. In the mean time, again, I'm just left with one of the three options I've previously stated. Its too bad that businesses don't compromise and restrict open carry but allow CC. That would cut down the idjits who do it as a status symbol with their MFT holstered 1911 clone with the imitation ivory grips but still allow someone the option to protect themselves.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some businesses DO allow CC but not open carry... quite a few around here, in fact.

The conversation has morphed and twisted quite a bit, but the original post that started all of this was about a law in Minnesota that essentially said if you put up a no gun sign, you can be sued if someone is injured in a gun related incident. I guess in a sense, we have that already... you can sue anyone for anything.

You've been very reasonable, and I've enjoyed especially the last day or so of the discussion!

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amazing how the discussions go when its actually a discussion and not a slam fest. Ultimately I will be in disagreement with several others on the depth of liability a business should be held to when they do not allow firearms in the business. But, that is great thing about opinions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom