Gun/NFA Trust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you actually change any of the wording of your trust around at all once you've submitted it with an application? Or is it forever locked how it is?

Hell, I'll make a new trust if it comes down to it.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure someone will let me know if I 've misunderstood a trust. Isn't more than one person allowed to use the items under a trust ? If so , I think the King doesn't want people using the items that haven't had a background check done on them. At least that was what I read somewhere. I have nine tax stamps done the hard way. I hope I wrong on this and they don't ever raise the price of the tax stamp.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure someone will let me know if I 've misunderstood a trust. Isn't more than one person allowed to use the items under a trust ? If so , I think the King doesn't want people using the items that haven't had a background check done on them. At least that was what I read somewhere. I have nine tax stamps done the hard way. I hope I wrong on this and they don't ever raise the price of the tax stamp.
If it is set up that way, yes, multiple people can use the item.

No one has been getting a background check done on a trust. Now it will be all responsible parties on the trust. But it still appears a loophole exists. They are saying once you send in photos and prints, you won't have to do it again as long as the responsible parties haven't changed on the trust and if you've had an approval in the past 24 months. The fact that they have specifically address changing the RPs after the fact means it can be done. So just get your machinegun with your prints and photos and then add people to the trust afterward.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Phone, text and email are all equally good ways of reaching me. If you don't get me on the phone I'm probably in court, so try text or email.

I have reviewed the new ATF rule, and all my trusts are being written so that the only person who will be considered a "responsible party" (and are therefore required to submit fingerprints and a photo once the rule goes into effect) will be the Settlor (you).

hensch,

Couple questions here.

1- If there is only one "responsible party" then can a spouse, brother, etc possess the item without the "responsible party" present?
2- Has the new rule gone into effect already? IE, does filing for a new NFA item at this time require fingerprints?

Thanks!

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1- If there is only one "responsible party" then can a spouse, brother, etc possess the item without the "responsible party" present?
2- Has the new rule gone into effect already? IE, does filing for a new NFA item at this time require fingerprints?

From what the Laywer posted who did my trust:
1. Nothing changed for possession.
2. “This final rule was signed by the Attorney General on January 4, 2016. It is effective 180 days after date of publication in the Federal Register.” If the rule was published in the Register on January 4, 2016. This means there is still no CLEO signoff, fingerprints, or picture requirement for trusts until July 1, 2016.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After a little more research, it appears that the ATF will be applying the new rule in such a way that anyone who is allowed to posses trust firearms at the time an application is submitted must submit photos, prints, and CLEO notification. So yes, your brother, son, etc. would be required to do this if they are Trustees at the time you submit an application.

The way around this is what FullAuto said... remove all co-Trustees before you submit an application, and then add them back once the application has been approved and the items have been added to your trust. That way, only you have to submit the photos, prints, and CLEO notification any time you buy something.

My trusts will now come with forms making it easy to do this, in electronic format so you can print and use them as many times as you need.

I can also amend your existing trust to make it easy to do this, and provide you with all necessary forms. Contact me if interested.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom