Gun Safe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello Fellow members, so I am in the market for a gun safe, what kind of gun safes do you guys prefer, brand, how many guns? I plan on a 14-16 gun most I will be storing mags, valuables, and all sorts of firearms. I am also in a apartment complex so I need something nothing to large or too crazy. I looked at Stack On and aiming towards them, my price is below $600 closer to $500. Just wanted everyone's input...any inputs would be awesome. In the Tulsa area and was wondering what places to check out also than from Basspro Shop, Academy, Walmart, etc.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You might re-consider the definition of "safe"...

Gun safes I've looked at in the $500 price range are generally light/medium (10-12 gauge?) steel and easily moved when empty, even thought the "texture" simulates cast iron. Fancy electronic locks don't really help much.

One whack with a sledge hammer will likely open the door, or at least make it easily opened with a crowbar. Or they can be simply carried out by a couple of hefty guys (or one guy with a wheel dolly), even with several guns inside. At a bare minimum, they should be securely anchored to a floor or wall.

Anything less than 1/4" steel (or preferably cast iron) simply gives the illusion of security IMO, although they might provide some measure of safety in the event of a quick "smash and grab."

I will take more than a "whack with a sledge hammer" to open even a budget safe and the thickness of the steel is a poor indicator of it's ability to repel an attack. The easiest way to prevent someone from "walking out" with a safe is to bolt it to the floor properly. This will also prevent them from knocking it over so they can work on it in the house.

Frankly, if a budget safe is all you can afford, it's better than not having a safe at all. Some are better than others. A few are better than most. Here's a good video explaining how safe manufacturers have had to cut corners to meet the demand by big box stores to make safes less expensive. The result is a safe that is less secure, but it's still better than nothing.

Stack-on safes are the lowest end of the low end safes. In fact, there cheapest "safe" isn't a safe at all. It's a metal cabinet with a lock similar to what you would find on a school locker. It's not adequate to store valuables, it's not fire-proof, it's not really a safe at all.

Here's another good video explaining what to look for in a "good" safe:

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went with the cannon over a stack on because it's better quality over a gun locker. I know it will not be as good as a liberty or a bear, but it's something. I have the peace of mind it will keep my daughter out when she's older and it will also keep smash and grab intruders out. If some one is that interested in my stuff and are in my house with the alarm blaring they will probably get it. location of the safe is also a key, I had to remover the door frame to get mine mad there's not enough room to tip it over so it's safe.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Cobalt , Stack On , Cannon , Armor Vault , and a Freedom Security by Liberty. The Cobalt is the best one. I used the Stack On and Armor Vault just for ammo storage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom