Gun Show at the County Fair yeehaw....first gun as Nebraska Resident

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get delayed everytime and the Feds NEVER call back with an approval, it just expires after the 88 days. EVERYTIME.

So how would that work for me. Would I basically be banned from buying a handgun?

I am basically banned from buying from any place that requires a APPROVE from NICS, like Cabela's or the CMP. Because I never get an approval, just a forever delay.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it’s not a revenue source, why not just let the FFL holder run the NICS if a person doesn’t have a CHL?

I think for a long gun they can run you on a 4473 and call it in if you do not have their little permits, but a pistol requires the permit. I'm honestly not sure what good it does because I have run people for their purchase permit and you just type their information in and if there have no outstanding warrants or violent criminal history then the sheriff just approves it and moves on. It sounds about like what happens when you call in a 4473 although I have never been on that side of it so I am not exactly sure.

I get delayed everytime and the Feds NEVER call back with an approval, it just expires after the 88 days. EVERYTIME.

So how would that work for me. Would I basically be banned from buying a handgun?

I am basically banned from buying from any place that requires a APPROVE from NICS, like Cabela's or the CMP. Because I never get an approval, just a forever delay.

So I know when they run the background checks, if your name is very similar to someone else's and your birth date is in the same range it will pull back all that information and spit it out and the person who is doing the check has to basically weed through it to make sure that the information pertains to the one they are actually looking at. I would think that's potentially what happens when you fill out a 4473, if it spits back more than just one result for a person with the information that was input, they probably delay it so they can shuffle through and make sure that they are checking the correct person. I would think in this instance since you were dealing with the local law enforcements instead of a branch trying to do the entire country, that process would be much quicker and easier to discuss and now once you are approved for the purchase permit, you would not have to deal with that again until it is time to renew I guess. This is all just speculation as I'm not 100% sure but I an now kind of curious and will ask the sheriff here how that would work.

Last edited:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think for a long gun they can run you on a 4473 and call it in if you do not have their little permits, but a pistol requires the permit. I'm honestly not sure what good it does because I have run people for their purchase permit and you just type their information in and if there have no outstanding warrants or violent criminal history then the sheriff just approves it and moves on. It sounds about like what happens when you call in a 4473 although I have never been on that side of it so I am not exactly sure.

So I know when they run the background checks, if your name is very similar to someone else's and your birth date is in the same range it will pull back all that information and spit it out and the person who is doing the check has to basically weed through it to make sure that the information pertains to the one they are actually looking at. I would think that's potentially what happens when you fill out a 4473, if it spits back more than just one result for a person with the information that was input, they probably delay it so they can shuffle through and make sure that they are checking the correct person. I would think in this instance since you were dealing with the local law enforcements instead of a branch trying to do the entire country, that process would be much quicker and easier to discuss and now once you are approved for the purchase permit, you would not have to deal with that again until it is time to renew I guess. This is all just speculation as I'm not 100% sure but I and now kind of curious and will ask the sheriff here how that would work.

Yep. Grumpy gets delayed EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. also. But he has 2 strikes against him -- one of the most common names on the danged planet plus he has his fingerprints on file with multiple agencies.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To keep rambling, you fill out the application and give it to the dispatcher at the Sheriff's Office and the dispatchers run you through the NICS check. If you are a felon it goes off and the dispatcher can just reject it there and it is over with. If you are not a felon, then they print off your criminal history which may have absolutely zero history or may have a laundry list of stuff and they attach that to the application and forward it to the sheriff. The sheriff goes through the criminal history and like I said approves it as long as it's not something like domestic violence or drugs or stuff like that. At least here in Boone, he doesn't care about your traffic violations or any crap like that is not going to reject your purchase permit application because of that. He usually has permits approved within a few days, and if he happens to be in the office right then and there and you have no hits he will sign it on the spot and be done.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. Grumpy gets delayed EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. also. But he has 2 strikes against him -- one of the most common names on the danged planet plus he has his fingerprints on file with multiple agencies.

Stuff like this shows the total inefficiencies of "the system".

Like I have had secret and top secret security clearances but still have to wait 10 months to get approved for a damn suppressor. Or another example is I had to pass the same NICS background check for my current job, and then to get access to one of the systems at work have to pass it again. So they run you through the NICS system twice in the matter of a month because apparently the first time wasn't good enough to gain access to this system??? All of this is while holding an active security clearance which seems like that background check would trump anything they would do on an instant background check but what do I know. Seems like at some point they could just give you some kind of a passport and you would pretty much be able to instantly prove you're good to go on dang near everything. Same with fingerprints, they got my fingerprints when I did secret, then they got them again when I upgraded to top secret, then they got them again for each of my NFA items, then they got them again for the new job. Like how many copies of my fingerprints do you guys want???

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stuff like this shows the total inefficiencies of "the system".

Like I have had secret and top secret security clearances but still have to wait 10 months to get approved for a damn suppressor. Or another example is I had to pass the same NICS background check for my current job, and then to get access to one of the systems at work have to pass it again. So they run you through the NICS system twice in the matter of a month because apparently the first time wasn't good enough to gain access to this system??? All of this is while holding an active security clearance which seems like that background check would trump anything they would do on an instant background check but what do I know. Seems like at some point they could just give you some kind of a passport and you would pretty much be able to instantly prove you're good to go on dang near everything. Same with fingerprints, they got my fingerprints when I did secret, then they got them again when I upgraded to top secret, then they got them again for each of my NFA items, then they got them again for the new job. Like how many copies of my fingerprints do you guys want???

Right!!?!?!? 😂

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
If Armslist is basically non existent, it’s probably a UBC state. I didn’t know Colorado was until I checked out ARmslist while I was out the a few years ago. There wasn’t much listed and it was all dealers. The few private listings mentioned which ffl they preferred to meet at.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not UBC. Last time I looked, there were only a few hundred listings for the entire state. It's like some states it just gets used more than others. Armslist was better for me in OK than it was in TX too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom