Gun Show Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's a gun show in OKC this weekend and I have a couple rifles and a scope I'm looking to sell, yes I did advertise them here.

I've never attempted to sell something at a gun show but know several people have luck doing so. What could I expect if I took my Sendero in 300 wm, a custom 6.5 CM and nice 6-24 votex? Guess the question is better put, do most people get good value when selling at a gun show or did you have to come off hundreds to sell it?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From my limited experience, half the vendors will flag you down and offer you "trade in" value for it...so if you're going to do that you might as well offer it up here at the reduced price.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From my limited experience, half the vendors will flag you down and offer you "trade in" value for it...so if you're going to do that you might as well offer it up here at the reduced price.
I guess I can always pass on the low ball offers since I'm not desperate. Was mostly just curious what my chances were at selling for a decent price, meaning close to what I paid.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I can always pass on the low ball offers since I'm not desperate. Was mostly just curious what my chances were at selling for a decent price, meaning close to what I paid.
Most of the vendors at the gun show will low ball you. I have sold a few guns at various gun shows and never got close to what they were worth but at the time I had no choice.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the vendors at the gun show will low ball you. I have sold a few guns at various gun shows and never got close to what they were worth but at the time I had no choice.
Sounding more like it might not even be worth the trip......was thinking more about people at the show looking to buy than vendors.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounding more like it might not even be worth the trip......was thinking more about people at the show looking to buy than vendors.
Yes, that is a possibility but that too is a chance. But if you run into just the right person, you could sell them for what you want. Wishing you all the luck.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The number of people at small gun shows looking to add a firearm to their collection will be smaller than the number of people looking to flip a gun for profit. You need to go someplace like Wanenmacher to have a decent chance of selling for a decent price.

One thing to do is carry or wear a sign advertising what you have for sale. Make yourself visible and increase your chances of a show visitor buying your wares for a fair price.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember that trying to get close to what you paid will probably not happen. Why buy a gun that may have a hidden problem, from a person you have never seen before and will probably not see again, for a price close to what you could buy from a local store, where you have some recourse should there be an issue with the piece. You can do it, but be willing to smile and walk away from some who would try to take advantage of you.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perplexed is right that Wanenmachers is going to be your best bet. Any dealer or someone looking to flip it isn't going to give you much, not to mention how tough it's going to sell any bolt gun or hunting rifle this time of year. If you can afford to hang onto them until closer to hunting season, you will have a lot easier time selling.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had very good luck selling to other attendees (not vendors) and have done several good trades with private collectors who had displays at gun shows. Most recently about 3-4 weeks ago at an RK Gunshow. The next one is a Metcalf and I won't darken his doors - haven't in years so I can't speak to that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom