Gunbroker deal dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okay, so I've been lusting after a baikal mp94 for a couple years, specifically the rare .308 version, and finally found one on gunbroker. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=424340380

We have for no reserve auction a very nice pre-owned Baikal MP 94 Combination 12ga/308 win. The Baikal U.S. Sporting Goods Model MP94 combination gun shown. It is a Russian made superposed 308 wIN over 12 Ga combination. The barrel length is 23-3/4", the 12 Ga chamber is 3" magnum and the shotgun barrel accepts screw in chokes, one of which is included. The rifle barrel's point of impact can be adjusted by a screw in front of the forearm. The gun is equipped with double triggers and extractors. The overall condition is excellent. The satin blue finish shows very little wear. The checkered walnut semi-beavertail forearm is held with a latch and in in excellent condition. The checkered walnut butt stock is also excellent. The butt is fitted with a rubber recoil pad. The bore and action are like new. Overall, a very nice, high quality combination gun. Thanks for looking. Please view our auction images provided for an accurate depiction of physical condition, which will reveal a very nice like new overall unit. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. Buyer must be 18 years of age or older to purchase this firearm. I am a licensed FFL dealer. A copy of my FFL will be included with the firearm(s) when shipped. The buyer must have his/her local FFL email or fax their FFL to me before I can ship the firearm. You may also choose to include a copy with your payment. My email address is [email protected]; my fax is 904-778-1277. I do have firearms from time to time that are C&R eligible. If you are a C&R holder purchasing one of these firearms, a copy of your C&R and a clear, visible copy of your driver’s license are required prior to the shipping of the firearm. Payment is to be sent in the form of money order (USPS preferred) or certified cashier’s check only. We gladly accept payment over the phone using any major credit card. 7% sales tax will be added to transactions to Florida residents. Shipping cost is a flat $30 within the continental 48 states. Shipping to Alaska or Hawaii may require additional funds, so please contact me prior to bidding to get the appropriate shipping cost. If purchasing more than one handgun at a time, combined shipping costs will be full price shipping of one handgun plus $10 for each additional handgun. Please add 2.5% for all credit card payments, 2.5% plus $8.00 for all AMEX payments. There is no combined shipping on rifles. I do not ship any firearms to California, under any circumstances, no exceptions

I won the auction!!

But have just gotten an email from the seller

Thank you for being the high bidder on our auction for the Baikal MP 94 12/308...I have some rather bad news here and have never actually had this happen before so I am not quite sure what needs to be done here. We had listed the Baikal on Gun Broker for one of my regular clients on a consignment basis and just spoke with Jim mid morning when we saw your bid on the item....Jim explained that he sold the firearm last night to someone else. I explained to Jim your bid, but it was simply too late. Normally, I keep all consigned items on my premises, but with this one I did not as I see the owner on a regular basis and at his request he asked that we just market on Gun Broker rather than in our shop for him. I feel horrible here ! Please let me know how I help here. I feel awful ! Sorry about this, Henry

Would I be out of line leaving negative feedback on his sellers profile?

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would I be out of line leaving negative feedback on his sellers profile?
No. It may let the next person bidding on a rare item they've been searching for that it may not actually be for sale. Dealers earn their reputations for a reason.

In the NFA market, Rueben is one of the most expensive dealers in the country and gets a premium on everything he sells. Why? Because he only sells nice, quality stuff and you get the item. You pay for the reputation. He's earned that reputation over decades. On the other hand, Frank doesn't own damn near anything. His stuff is almost all consignment. You may get it eventually. You may never get it because of the exact same reason you didn't get this gun. It happens all the time to his customers. He's the risky side of the market.

Volmarr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I would leave negative feedback. Kinda not his fault but he shouldn't have listed it with the possibility it could be sold. I would check his other auctions he might have something else you want and might get a good deal. That really sucks it was something you have been wanting for so long.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go back and check his very first feedback from 2012. It is one of only two less than A+ feedbacks. He seems apologetic, but I may still get sauced and leave negative feedback. Or may ask for a discount on something.

Ask what he would take for that UTAS?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
He should have known better than to place something up for sale that he didn't have in-hand.

Bad practice, and he gets burned with a negative, unless he finds some way to make it up to you. Not a big deal, just ask him if he has any suggestions, or if he has something you like, ask him if he'll deal with you on it. If not, then it's simple, the feedback system is specifically designed so that a record of this kind of thing is kept. Thusly, future buyers can decide for themselves if they wish to take the risk of dealing with him.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Negative Feed Back for sure. He should have had the gun before he listed it. Sounds like the seller didn't like the price you won it at, and backed out.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Negative Feed Back for sure. He should have had the gun before he listed it. Sounds like the seller didn't like the price you won it at, and backed out.

This is what I'm thinking... Set it at "No Reserve", then decided the bid wasn't high enough. I'd keep a close eye to see if he lists it again in the next month or so. That would be pretty damning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom