Gunbroker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah...sales taxes from interstate sales wasn't collected unless the seller had $100K in sales to a certain state. I paid $0 in tax on my $5K thermal purchase from Missouri last year. Buying from smaller dealers allowed us to avoid paying the king extra dues.

Recently, GB has added sales tax to every purchase based on state. I'm going to have to look into it a bit more because I'm sales tax free here (100% VA disability).

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is why I am really debating getting my FFL when I get my shop built on the lot next door. We are in county so our sales tax is only 4.5% of items shipped here.
Lol, need a silent partner? May as well go type 7 class 2 SOT for the real fun.
Yeah...sales taxes from interstate sales wasn't collected unless the seller had $100K in sales to a certain state. I paid $0 in tax on my $5K thermal purchase from Missouri last year. Buying from smaller dealers allowed us to avoid paying the king extra dues.

Recently, GB has added sales tax to every purchase based on state. I'm going to have to look into it a bit more because I'm sales tax free here (100% VA disability).
You were supposed to pay the sales tax in Oklahoma for many, many years. Most didn’t report it on their taxes though.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol, need a silent partner? May as well go type 7 class 2 SOT for the real fun.

You were supposed to pay the sales tax in Oklahoma for many, many years. Most didn’t report it on their taxes though.

Last time I checked, the South Dakota V. Wayfair ruling by the USSC occurred only back in 2018. Before that, Quill V. North Dakota only required sales tax if the business had a brick and mortar store in the state you were purchasing from.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last time I checked, the South Dakota V. Wayfair ruling by the USSC occurred only back in 2018. Before that, Quill V. North Dakota only required sales tax if the business had a brick and mortar store in the state you were purchasing from.
Key word is required. Oklahoma and other states had laws internet, mail order, etc were supposed to be taxed. States could not require retailers to collect it, unless they had nexus in the state. We were supposed to report it ourselves on our state income taxes.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So as a buyer, what exact benefit am I receiving from paying the "Compliance Fee"?

I simply see it as a way for GunBroker to make more money and just redirect the made-up fee to the Buyer
I wasn't aware of this "compliance fee" until it was mentioned above.
It does sound like a backdoor scheme for GB to raise themselves some more revenue.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems it (tax) all started when the place (Gunchoker, evilbay, etc) started collecting the funds on behalf of the seller.

Thus alowing the states a easy entry to pick your pocket!

Used items should be untaxed PERIOD!

Sales tax has already been paid on a used item!

We could get back to simplicity by having the buyer pay directly to the seller!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems it (tax) all started when the place (Gunchoker, evilbay, etc) started collecting the funds on behalf of the seller.

Thus alowing the states a easy entry to pick your pocket!

Used items should be untaxed PERIOD!

Sales tax has already been paid on a used item!

We could get back to simplicity by having the buyer pay directly to the seller!
Like I said, I hadn’t bought anything of GB in a while, and that’s because I try to buy from individuals and face to face. It saves on shipping and tax and gives the ATF the finger at the same time.

I bought a relatively rare CVA Squirrel 32 cal muzzleloader, and on GB is the only place I’ve seen one in months of looking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom