Guns at work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As has been said, Ok is a fire at will state.
Refusing to have your vehicle/lunch box/tool box searched is grounds for termination with most companies even though scotus said it’s ok to keep a firearm in a locked vehicle. Fighting it in court would be expensive and the company has more money than most of their employees to fight it.
That being said, my last job before retirement, I carried a Keltek P3AT in my pocket once they hit the market.
Nobody knew it, and I didn’t tell my best buddy either.
I was fully prepared to look for other employment if discovered.
You have to make that decision before carrying where employers prohibit.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As has been said, Ok is a fire at will state.
Refusing to have your vehicle/lunch box/tool box searched is grounds for termination with most companies even though scotus said it’s ok to keep a firearm in a locked vehicle. Fighting it in court would be expensive and the company has more money than most of their employees to fight it.
That being said, my last job before retirement, I carried a Keltek P3AT in my pocket once they hit the market.
Nobody knew it, and I didn’t tell my best buddy either.
I was fully prepared to look for other employment if discovered.
You have to make that decision before carrying where employers prohibit.

You'll have to decide what you are willing to risk your job over. If you do decide to take it inside do not tell anyone including relatives. IMHO

I totally agree with the part about NOT telling a soul...two people can keep a secret, but only if one of them is dead. Zip yer lip.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a discussion about this at work. From what we understood you CAN keep a firearm locked in your vehicle as long as its parked in an area that is set aside for employee parking. Under no circumstances can your employer enter your vehicle without your permission. However, in a company owned workplace (for me this includes the office and my work truck) they can search anything at will, including personally owned backpacks, satchels, briefcases, purses, lunchboxes, etc. Even though its your toolbox (I assume at least, based on your posts) they have the right to search it if they feel there is a violation of some sort.

In the end its up to you. Do you want to risk getting fired if your employer finds out you had your gun in the building or do you fear that someone will come back with ill intent and you want to risk termination of your job to prevent the termination of your life.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well here is the deal a few years ago he laid off a guy and later that day and a few days afterward the guy that got laid off started texting another guy at work saying I guess it’s time to load up the machine gun and hand guns and come up there and clean house over 70 text messages he sent so the boss told some that he knew had permits to have their ccw on them in case he came up there. Police was notified and they caught the guy down the street watching the bosses house BUT said they couldn’t do anything to him because he hadn’t actually done anything. About a month or so ago probably longer I asked him about carrying in the shop and he replied no if something happens I can get to my truck and get my gun then wanted to know if anyone in the shop was carrying I replied no I was just wondering

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well here is the deal a few years ago he laid off a guy and later that day and a few days afterward the guy that got laid off started texting another guy at work saying I guess it’s time to load up the machine gun and hand guns and come up there and clean house over 70 text messages he sent so the boss told some that he knew had permits to have their ccw on them in case he came up there. Police was notified and they caught the guy down the street watching the bosses house BUT said they couldn’t do anything to him because he hadn’t actually done anything. About a month or so ago probably longer I asked him about carrying in the shop and he replied no if something happens I can get to my truck and get my gun then wanted to know if anyone in the shop was carrying I replied no I was just wondering
Wow, you do have a tough decision on your hands.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a discussion about this at work. From what we understood you CAN keep a firearm locked in your vehicle as long as its parked in an area that is set aside for employee parking. Under no circumstances can your employer enter your vehicle without your permission. However, in a company owned workplace (for me this includes the office and my work truck) they can search anything at will, including personally owned backpacks, satchels, briefcases, purses, lunchboxes, etc. Even though its your toolbox (I assume at least, based on your posts) they have the right to search it if they feel there is a violation of some sort.

In the end its up to you. Do you want to risk getting fired if your employer finds out you had your gun in the building or do you fear that someone will come back with ill intent and you want to risk termination of your job to prevent the termination of your life.

I'd like a citation on state law that says an employer can search your person or your belongings without your consent, even on company property. Now, company policy may say one thing, but if they're not LEO and they don't have a warrant, they're not going in my backpack. If they attempt, there will be a physical altercation to prevent their illegal search of my personal property.

Now... they can fire you at will if you refuse, of course... but I have never seen anything saying it is legal for them to seize your personal property for a search. Which would include taking my backpack away from my personal control. I could be wrong, but like I said, I'd like to see a state law that says so.

<edited to add> Lockers I see the same as a company vehicle - their locker, they can search. But they're not going inside a backpack or something in my personal possession, any more than they're going inside my wallet or my undershorts. I'm jus' sayin'.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like a citation on state law that says an employer can search your person or your belongings without your consent, even on company property. Now, company policy may say one thing, but if they're not LEO and they don't have a warrant, they're not going in my backpack. If they attempt, there will be a physical altercation to prevent their illegal search of my personal property.

Now... they can fire you at will if you refuse, of course... but I have never seen anything saying it is legal for them to seize your personal property for a search. Which would include taking my backpack away from my personal control. I could be wrong, but like I said, I'd like to see a state law that says so.

<edited to add> Lockers I see the same as a company vehicle - their locker, they can search. But they're not going inside a backpack or something in my personal possession, any more than they're going inside my wallet or my undershorts. I'm jus' sayin'.

This is the way I see it also, not going thru a personal bag, would be like searching a purse, which wouldn't be legal

Latest posts

Top Bottom