Gunsmithing, licensed, and doing it the right way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Forgive me for the lengthy post, but it’s needed to explain my questions. I found a really old post or 2, but nothing specific or recent. First, this is not a pitty party request, in fact just the opposite, and if you can please bear with me, you’ll understand I am kind of fired up. I am currently sitting in a hospital bed, 5 hours post-op for what is supposed to be the final surgery after a near death intestinal explosion (for lack of a better word). After 4 surgeries and 6 hospital stays, I find myself upbeat and positive, which is a 180 degrees from the dark place I found myself in since February. Please, for any who can, I need information, help me out fellas...

Covid, and recent health problems (both, in my case) have left several reeling, for myself, has flat out destroyed my life in many ways, more specifically my financial future. I may even be headed for disability, (since the laborer jobs I am trained and experienced in will not be an option) which as most can attest to, leaves no hope of much more than surviving for a career blue-collar guy.

I have little experience in gunsmithing, but it's always been my dream skill. In a few years my plan is to own my licensed shop (obviously to make it a full-time gig, I would have to offer much more than just gunsmithing), and then pass it down in the end. Please, if you’re going to give me the negativity of the obvious obstacles and hoops that I understand will be tedious, that’s ok. Unless I win the lottery and buy a turn-key deal, it’s gonna take time and the right training. However, when this redneck gets something in his head, it’s stuck, and I’m extremely ambitious and driven. I’m asking you guys, because I have learned more from y’all than you know. So...

I need to start from the beginning, I’m considering an online course for my classroom training, certification, or at a minimum, where I can get my feet wet, and if nothing else, learn the lingo, procedures, reasoning, etc.. From there, maybe hit a vo-tech for metal work, milling, etc.. It would be optimal to try and find a gunsmith willing to take on an apprentice, preferably as a trainee-paid employee, but in the end, beggars can’t be choosers.

So, info, options, experience, guidance from anyone?

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, get well!

Second of all, when you can travel, come see me. I am a licensed gunsmith and I'm not an expert* and I can't teach you everything I know over a cup of coffee but I can tell you what works for me and what didn't. I've been tinkering on guns for somewhere around 35 years or so and done work on guns for several here on the forum**. I've had quite a bit of formal training but mostly informal training over the years. We will then tour my shop and then make a trip to my buddies shop here in town. You need to be a metalworker and a metallurgist. A woodworker. A machinist. A mechanic. The biggest thing you need to be is a diagnostician and a problem solver. I hate gunsmiths that start throwing parts at a gun until eventually they stumble around and get the right part in it, all at a cost to the customer.

@Gunbuffer will be along shortly.........

*When someone says they are an "expert", do your homework on them...... Jus' sayin'....

**hillaryisabum, sturgisrun, gerhard1, FPO, J460 (pending), Big50.

Last edited:

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Colo School of Trades is a Gunsmithing School in Lakewood Colo (Denver ) that gets you what you ( wood , metal, ts, hands-on ) need to know about gunsmithing, there is Voc-tec, junior college SW of OKC that offers a gunsmithing program worth your time. Brownells could tell you of programs to contact.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d start by filling a niche. What’s your favorite gun? What part of your favorite firearm can you work on and do well?
Maybe start with a shop and just install sights and bore scope riflescopes. Then branch out from there. Those online courses are a waste. Darn everything you need to know is already on the Internet; albeit in 5 or 6 places, mixed in w nonsense, but it’s there. Take a class on lathe Operation, get one, thread barrels.
I have little esteem for folks that say they can do it all, because they’ll take your money and try. Never try, do. Hold yourself to a higher standard than other shops. and lastly, forget all this nonsense and get a job at Home Depot. You’ll wind up ahead, and still have your fun Firearm hobby

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, get well!

Second of all, when you can travel, come see me. I am a licensed gunsmith and I'm not an expert* and I can't teach you everything I know over a cup of coffee but I can tell you what works for me and what didn't. I've been tinkering on guns for somewhere around 35 years or so and done work on guns for several here on the forum**. I've had quite a bit of formal training but mostly informal training over the years. We will then tour my shop and then make a trip to my buddies shop here in town. You need to be a metalworker and a metallurgist. A woodworker. A machinist. A mechanic. The biggest thing you need to be is a diagnostician and a problem solver. I hate gunsmiths that start throwing parts at a gun until eventually they stumble around and get the right part in it, all at a cost to the customer.

@Gunbuffer will be along shortly.........

*When someone says they are an "expert", do your homework on them...... Jus' sayin'....

**hillaryisabum, sturgisrun, gerhard1, FPO, J460 (pending), Big50.
Thank you very much, I’d be honored and grateful to take you up on the offer. Of the titles you listed, I’d have to most experience in woodworking. Over the last couple years I took up leather crafting, with my only focus being firearm specific (accessories, holsters, belts, slings, so far). I’ll give you a shout in a few weeks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom