Gunsmoke Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halfast

New to the site!
Reaction score
Yes, I know it is TV, but...

I've watched a few episodes of Gunsmoke lately and noticed something that bothers me.

In the opening credits, Matt Dillon has his holster tied down. Using the leg strap.

However, in almost all the other scenes I see, the tie down is hanging loose and unused.

I've always wondered why?

I've rarely used that particular holster setup, but always felt that the tie down was essential.
Especially since it appears that he is using a revolver with a longer than usual barrel.

Again, yes I know it is TV...
On some of the intro scenes to the show it is loose and hanging.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That holster don't feel to good and pinches and cuts off circulation when riding a horse probably.
Just about every show you see they are a floppin' until time for the gunfight.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of like the feller racking the slide on a semi-auto just before going through the door?
Dont forget how they cycle the pump shotgun or the lever action rifle before the big gunfight in the movies or on tv!

I do not know about ya'all, but I have one in the chamber of whatever I am carrying!

I am NOT waiting for the shtf to LOAD THE CHAMBER!!!!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The tie down was used to add dramatic effect. Right before a gun fight they would tie it down. Same with loading a round in the chamber of rifle or shotgun.

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My guess is that the untied tie-down had more to do with James Arness's bad back (results of wounds from his time in the service) than anything related to the continuity of the show.
My guess also. Depending on how long they shoot Im sure it gets annoying after awhile.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dont forget how they cycle the pump shotgun or the lever action rifle before the big gunfight in the movies or on tv!

I do not know about ya'all, but I have one in the chamber of whatever I am carrying!

I am NOT waiting for the shtf to LOAD THE CHAMBER!!!!
YES, I laugh every time the detective is sneaking down the hallway. pistol in hand, and when they get to the door, they rack the pistol!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom