Gunsmoke Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sammy Davis Jr.
He was incredible in the fast draw.
I knew someone would say that. He was about the fastest but wasn't on as a regular cast member. I should have been more specific. He played two different characters on The Rifleman, one good, one bad, both fast. One character threw a knife and then drew and fired and the knife hit the same hole as the bullet. I'd like to see that firsthand. Sounds physically possible but not probable.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a relativistic Gunman named Bright;
Whose shooting was MUCH Faster than Light;
He's in a gunfight today, in his relative way,
But the bullet already hit LAST NIGHT!

Apologies to A. Einstein

Sherrylynn

New to the site!
Reaction score
Yes, I know it is TV, but...

I've watched a few episodes of Gunsmoke lately and noticed something that bothers me.

In the opening credits, Matt Dillon has his holster tied down. Using the leg strap.

However, in almost all the other scenes I see, the tie down is hanging loose and unused.

I've always wondered why?

I've rarely used that particular holster setup, but always felt that the tie down was essential.
Especially since it appears that he is using a revolver with a longer than usual barrel.

Again, yes I know it is TV...
On the episodes where it's tied down , Chester is in the episode. When not tied it's Festus.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hollywood is missing the boat by not having new westerns today in my opinion.
I agree. Especially when it comes to shows and such. But there’s some real gold out there. Quentin Tarantino really works some magic in his westerns. I think he’s great overall, but his westerns really do shine. Django unchained was good, hilarious, and a really great story. Tarantino’s “the hateful eight” capture some of the grit and rawness that I feel wasn’t captured in older westerns. While it’s a bit of an abstract take, one of my all time favorite movies, “no country for old men” is actually a “reflection on the death of westerns, a genre founded on the inherent decency of men, our unbreakable spirit, and the unequivocal triumph of good over evil.”

I guess I like the bleakness/dark feel of newer westerns. While they’re few and far between when it comes to genuine good ones, I feel they capture the essence and grit of the times past. Growing up I loved the Rifleman, the Lone Ranger, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, rawhide, and the wild Wild West, but I felt that while they were all great entertainment, they were the candy coated version of of how life really was then.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are many "gringo" westerns on youtube but I can't handle a lto of them due to the quality of acting and lip sync. There are only a few I appreciate.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ojala trained James Arness, in fact man Marshall Dillon outdraws on the title scene is Ojala. Ojala trained Steve McQueen, Glen Ford, Sammy Davis Jr. , Brian Keith and several other Hollywood pistoleros.
We should note and publicize that Ojalas students never had a bad firearms injury or death, and that Alec Baldwin did not study gun handling from Ojala......

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
James Arness was 6 foot 7 inches! :faint: A true mountain of a man.

I always got a kick out of them old westerns when one of em would slowly unhitch his gunbelt and say to the other guy, "alright...we're gonna settle this man to man!" Then the other guy would drop his gunbelt as well, and then the fight was on!

Also, if you'll notice in Bonanza, they don't have any cartridge loops on their gunbelts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom