Gunsmoke Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettapace

New to the site!
Reaction score
Yes, I know it is TV, but...

I've watched a few episodes of Gunsmoke lately and noticed something that bothers me.

In the opening credits, Matt Dillon has his holster tied down. Using the leg strap.

However, in almost all the other scenes I see, the tie down is hanging loose and unused.

I've always wondered why?

I've rarely used that particular holster setup, but always felt that the tie down was essential.
Especially since it appears that he is using a revolver with a longer than usual barrel.

Again, yes I know it is TV...

Brettapace

New to the site!
Reaction score
Yes I’ve been bothered as well when Matt Diilion “who's character is a Stud” but for some reason in the episodes from I believe season 9 on until the color tv versions doesn’t have his holster ties lashed to his leg. You can’t draw a revolver of any length let alone the length of Matt Dillons revolver very quickly with out the bottom of the holster lashed to your leg. I am amazed they allowed such an obvious flaw to be on the Opening introduction of each of those episodes. Although I must say I love watching all the episodes but every time I see it I’m like “what the hell you couldn’t draw fast enough to kill that dude without your drawstring tied my brother!”

Brett “the Viking” ✌️😎⚔️🇺🇸💯

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really enjoy the classic western shows. Always interesting to see the different tack, saddles, shooting irons, hats, etc.

RandallRike

New to the site!
Reaction score
Yes, I know it is TV, but...

I've watched a few episodes of Gunsmoke lately and noticed something that bothers me.

In the opening credits, Matt Dillon has his holster tied down. Using the leg strap.

However, in almost all the other scenes I see, the tie down is hanging loose and unused.

I've always wondered why?

I've rarely used that particular holster setup, but always felt that the tie down was essential.
Especially since it appears that he is using a revolver with a longer than usual barrel.

Again, yes I know it is TV...
In every episode I've watched, in the opening shootout, his holster is NOT tied down ... and I've always wondered why. Watching S11:E16 now ...

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember watching Blazing Saddles for the first time when I was a young kid, and I was very disappointed because I thought it was going to be a real western movie. Of course, I’ve watched it a few times since then and laugh my butt off. It’s definitely a classic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom