H&H - Another View

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OSSwill

Marksman
Reaction score
As some of you know, I've worked for H&H for something more than 20 years. I've seen some impressive things happen that just don't happen in other places. I'm not saying that everyone there is perfect, just that it's a very generous group of people that work there.

I've seen employees go to the parking lot and change flat tires for guests. I've seen employees jump start dead batteries, and push start motorcycles. I've seen empoyees mail forgotten items to guests that live in other states. I once drove 150 miles, on my gas, on my day off, to deliver stuff to a guy who just couldn't leave his job in western Oklahoma for a day to get to OKC. One of our guys shaved his head in a show of support for a guest fighting cancer. Each one of us has attended weddings and funerals of our guests. My personal shotgun has been through CLEET 7 times because I loan it out to guys and gals who need one and "just can't afford one" right now. I've watched our guys take parts off their own guns to get a guest's gun fixed NOW instead of waiting for ordered parts to arrive. I've even seen a guy hand a guest his personal pistol and say, "Here, just wear mine until yours is back from the factory."

Yeah, the guys get chatty with the regulars. It's because the regulars are real friends to us, not customers, real friends. We chat because we're actually interested in our guests. We ask about their families, generally by name. We may have shared a deer camp with that guy last season.

Don't be bashful about stepping into the conversation. That's where our new friends come from! I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll always step away from a "chat" to do business. But please understand that sometimes that chat IS real business! You'd be surprised how many transactions start out with news of the family, the new car, last night's storm, and then end with, "and I'm here to pick up that rifle you showed me last week."

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda curious since this is obviously about the other thread why a whole new thread was created, maybe to deflect some of the attitude it could convey? To be honest this sounds like the actions by the reloading counter employee that was being described is being condoned by you? I have seen this kind of response not taken very well and if I was the original poster in the other thread this would have irritated me even moreso. That is why I thought Justakid's reply should be applauded because he was trying to diffuse the situation and take care of exactly what the posters issue was. Rather than putting it back on him by saying to "step into the conversation" I personally could see where some may see that as rude.

As you say there are some great employee's at H&H and have no doubt about all the actions you listed. But Jeff in the other thread seemed to have a legitimate gripe and it should be addressed not had excuses made. I'm sure if it's the guy I'm thinking about he always seemed to be a decent guy when I was in there, but Jeff's irritation in this instance seems valid to me.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As some of you know, I've worked for H&H for something more than 20 years. I've seen some impressive things happen that just don't happen in other places. I'm not saying that everyone there is perfect, just that it's a very generous group of people that work there.

I've seen employees go to the parking lot and change flat tires for guests. I've seen employees jump start dead batteries, and push start motorcycles. I've seen empoyees mail forgotten items to guests that live in other states. I once drove 150 miles, on my gas, on my day off, to deliver stuff to a guy who just couldn't leave his job in western Oklahoma for a day to get to OKC. One of our guys shaved his head in a show of support for a guest fighting cancer. Each one of us has attended weddings and funerals of our guests. My personal shotgun has been through CLEET 7 times because I loan it out to guys and gals who need one and "just can't afford one" right now. I've watched our guys take parts off their own guns to get a guest's gun fixed NOW instead of waiting for ordered parts to arrive. I've even seen a guy hand a guest his personal pistol and say, "Here, just wear mine until yours is back from the factory."

Yeah, the guys get chatty with the regulars. It's because the regulars are real friends to us, not customers, real friends. We chat because we're actually interested in our guests. We ask about their families, generally by name. We may have shared a deer camp with that guy last season.

Don't be bashful about stepping into the conversation. That's where our new friends come from! I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll always step away from a "chat" to do business. But please understand that sometimes that chat IS real business! You'd be surprised how many transactions start out with news of the family, the new car, last night's storm, and then end with, "and I'm here to pick up that rifle you showed me last week."

I wasn't going to comment on this issue since I wasn't there this time. I'm usually with Jeff every time he goes to H&H. I've know him for over 25 years, We work together & live in the same neighborhood. That being said, if he calls & says "hey I'm going to H&H, wanna go" I'm usually going & vice versa.

Honestly, I think Justakid had already done the job of diffusing the situation & getting things resolved. I can't really believe this posting will do anything, except throw gas on a fire.

If your engaged in a conversation with a customer/friend that's fine, great, I hope it leads to a sale for you. But c'mon, 30 minutes? At least acknowledge the next customer & let them know you'll be right with them. Then, try to hurry the BS'ing into a sale or get some help. There is no way I'm going to interject myself into some strangers conversation, I'm just not a people person like that. Had I been there with him, I'd have interjected, but not to BS with you guys. I'm not anywhere near as patient & nice an individual as Jeff. There is also much more to the story than what jeff posted, I went to his house after he got the press to check it out, & he told me what trouble he'd had. Believe me, I'm glad you guys have a good relationship with some of your customers, but there's no justification for how this went down. There was way too much time & opportunity to get someone else to help him. This kind of customer service is the same reason I don't like going to Home Depot. You have to walk all the way to the other end of the store to find help from someone from an entirely different dept.
Props to Big John for taking care of business. Just lucky he knows about reloading equipt as well as gun sales.

This is not an anti H&H type thing, this is an I'll never buy anything from that guy type thing. Anytime either of us has had a problem, H&H has been very proactive in getting things resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom