H&R Single Shots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Cheer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been thinking about having a single shot rebored to have a .41 mag rifle.
Looks like the H&R .223 heavy barrel 24" might just be the best one to use for the project.
Anybody tried this route yet?
After looking at it I also started wondering about making a .338Federal out of the same rifle in .243.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been thinking about having a single shot rebored to have a .41 mag rifle.
Looks like the H&R .223 heavy barrel 24" might just be the best one to use for the project.
Anybody tried this route yet?
After looking at it I also started wondering about making a .338Federal out of the same rifle in .243.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,126.0.html

Try here ^ If it can be done, they will know all you need to know.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had an H&R 44mag this hunting season. It says on the receiver that you CANNOT rebarrel for a rifle caliber. You can only rebarrel for other magnum pistol rounds or a shotgun barrel. Hope this helps.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it's lots more bucks, but unless it's completely outta your price range, consider a Ruger Number 1. I have no opinion on the Thompson option, but lots of folks like them.

A friend has an NEF (allsame H&R) in 500 Smith. That has one most of the most brutal recoils I have ever experienced, and lots of it is stock geometry. I fired it twice, first time and last time, and handed it back with appropriate but unprintable comments. He laughed at me and said he wasn't recoil sensitive. He fired it two times, said it wasn't bad, and as far as I know it is still in the very back of his safe.

I am sure the .41 mag would not be so punishing, so it might do fine. Call NEF and see which of their receivers they would recommend. CB

ira41magfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TC Custom Shop doesn't list the 41 mag in a rifle barrel configuration. I got to wondering why so I called them and asked if they'd make one for me. The fertilizer they spread was that a 41 mag wasn't accurate in a rifle. I'd rather they tell me the truth and say they don't have much a market for them but hey, they've never been very friendly.

I found at MGM they make'm, price is about the same as tccustom an I got mine in a 414 supermag which shoots very nice and you can still shoot the 41mag in it.